15" Alum Pro - Trackpad/Keyboard dies randomly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HeThinkHeTheMac, Dec 1, 2009.

1. HeThinkHeTheMac macrumors newbie

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed. After much searching for my exact problem I wanted to see if any of you guys could shed some light on my situation....

So I bought the 15" Alum Pro model before they came out with the newer Unibody. Up until now it's been the best thing that ever happened to me.

My problem is about 3-4 times during the workday the keyboard and trackpad both freeze causing me to manually power down. After it happened about 5 times, I decided to spend two hours on the phone with Applecare.

Long story short...they had me check the ram and do a diagnostics on the hard drive ( I guess the equivalent to disk defrag?) Taking the battery out and going through a bunch of processes that all came back fine and after all that the problem persists.

I've searched all over and see that other people have had this problem but there hasn't been one concrete option for me to try. I've tried a firmware update for the trackpad with no success because the computer tells me I don't need that update.

It is the
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor/ 4 GB 667u MHz DDR2 Ram.

Something to note. The problem seems to happen right after the computer goes into Hibernate mode ( battery saver screen ). Sorry not sure what that mode is called.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

2. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

1.) Are you still within 14 days of purchase? >>>If so, return it to Apple for a replacement.
    2.) You most likely didn't do a disk defragmentation. Apple will just tell you to verify and repair disk permissions. Nevertheless, a problem with the HDD wouldn't be a problem in this case, granted your MBP's symptoms.
    3.) Note: Don't mess with the EFI firmware. Just perform Apple Updates as normal.
    4.) Perhaps try installing a fresh copy of the SL OS and see if these occurrences have resolved.
    5.) If you regularly run system backups, try restoring from a time machine backup (if you can remember the last time your MBP wasn't acting abhorrently).

3. HeThinkHeTheMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

The mac was bought over a year ago. I have a 3 year warranty on it through Best Buy, but I run Adobe design products and don't want to replace it because I don't want Snow Leopard because of issue I keep hearing about, especially with Adobe.

You're right they did have me verify and repair disk permissions and such.

I just started backing up the computer with Time Machine, wish I started earlier.

I haven't tried installing a fresh copy of leopard yet.

4. dcollins2 macrumors newbie

I have the same computer (early 2008 macbook pro) and have had this issue (although not quite as often as you). Recently had my laptop repaired for the 8600m GT issue and also had them replace the top case and keyboard. So far so good, I haven't had the keyboard/trackpad freeze on me yet!

Also: my keyboard/trackpad usually came back by closing the laptop, letting it go to sleep, then reopening.

5. HeThinkHeTheMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I'll try closing it next time it happens to see if that helps. What is the 8600m GT issue? I'm just curious?

6. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I had this issue with the revision before yours and Apple replaced the entire top case. If it's still an issue, I would press AppleCare on replacing the keyboard/trackpad.

7. dcollins2 macrumors newbie

Some of the 8600m GT cards were apparently defective, so if you start having video problems take it in ASAP.

Here's the link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Of course, mine was "replaced" and is now still having video issues. Oh, and it came back from repair with a burnt out right speaker. THANKS Apple. :(

8. maigado macrumors member

I'm having the same problem the last few days on my late 2007 MBP. External input devices continue to work, like USB mice, etc. But not the MBP keyboard and trackpad.

It's still under Apple Care, so I'm going to bring it in.

9. Sace macrumors member

The 8600m GT issue seems to affect all MacBook Pro models with the 8600 card - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

I had the same problem with my old MacBook Pro (exactly the same model as yours). Keyboard and trackpad randomly died, somtimes only the trackpad. Never found a solution, but i did a complete reinstall when i sold the machine. The new owner (friend of mine) haven't had the problem.

Maybe reinstall is the only way?