15" Antiglare - Do You Want High-Res Or Normal Res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Normal res or high-res?

1. Normal Resolution (1440x900)

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. High-Resolution (1680x1050)

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  1. kolax macrumors G3

It is clear there are people who love their high-res antiglare display; the ability to have more pallets open in Photoshop, see more of what you are doing in Logic. However, there is a fair few of us who dislike the high-res because of decreased fonts, smaller graphical interface things.

So, if you had the choice to go for a high-res or normal res antiglare 15", what would you go for? Why?

As much as many people are happy that Apple is now offering a nice high-res display on the 15", they shouldn't have taken away the option for the standard res display on the antiglare model. Here's hoping they'll bring it back!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I'm gonna go with the high-res. Without a doubt. Currently, I am using a 15 inch DELL laptop with a 1680 x 1050 display and I love it! (the display, not the computer)

My only concern is the AG vs. the glossy...

3. Sequin macrumors regular

High res. The more space I can get the better. I don't get why so many mac users are so butthurt over high resolutions. It's not like you HAVE to use it when it's offered, but it's nice to have the option.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah but OS X doesn't have any scaling or resolution independence.

And we do have to use it - you can't just turn the resolution down on an LCD and expect everything to look sharp and good like you can on a CRT.

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Did you end up keeping your high res or toss it?

6. choco macrumors member

choco

haha! important clarification :D

i voted for high-res because i could use the extra work space. i work on two panels at school and could use the extra pixels when on photoshop, illustrator, indesign, whatever. i'm not too crazy about the smaller fonts and images on the web but i think it's a trade-off that's worth it.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I'm returning it at the weekend.

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Kilamite
    - are you going to buy the new 15" i7 MBP with the standard glossy screen?

- Anti Glare is your biggest concern, right? Have you considered ordering a (refurb) late '09 15" C2D MBP and spice it up with 8gb ram and 256 or even 512ssd? That would (easily) keep you going until the next refresh.

By then the heat/fan noise concerns should be solved with newer components by years end, the graphics switching may be improved and 'if' we all whine and moan like hell to Apple about no AG option on the 1440 x 900 screens maybe they'll bring back the option ?? :)

You'll see this poll get more balanced over time I think.

Right now the rush is to run out and buy the hi-res screens, it's new and not all have had a chance yet to spend a lot of time with their new notebooks.

You can see the trend here already, and read it on review sites like anandtech.com ... many prefer the hi res screens initially but soon after are finding they're getting eyestrain, notably after reading text for long hours, or when tired, or in the evening.

For those who are reading text for long periods of time or doing more writing than watching movies, editing photo's or video the 1440 x 900 is likely a better choice for most, regardless of your vision > the less you strain your eyes the longer your eyes should stay 'good' ...

I sure hope Apple NEVER quits offering the 1440 x 900 screen on the 15" MBP's...

9. Sequin macrumors regular

What? Then why when you got to display it gives you resolution options? You can't set it lower?

10. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Standard-Res Matte

I am very upset that Apple removed the 1440 x 900 res with matte screen option. Apple does not often give back something they have taken away and I am afraid too many don't care or don't purchase the matte for Apple to take notice.

Since I refuse to purchase outdated equipment (i.e. prior gen) just for one feature, I suppose I will have to wait until either there is a 1440 x 900 option in matte or until Apple decides to add resolution independence to the OS. The probability is on the latter, so I guess it is a good thing that I don't plan to upgrade until late 2011 at the earliest (SandyBridge, hopefully, but who knows).

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hi res! I would have chosen a 1900x1200 resolution option if it were available. More screen real estate = more productivity for me.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I really don't get why people keep offering this up as the obvious solution that nobody else thought of. It must give all you anti hi-res people an enormous rage headache.

Yes, you can set it to a lower resolution but LCDs only look good at their native resolution. Other resolutions look fuzzy, unfocused, stretched, and overall they look out of place.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

LOL, "hi-res rage headache" > 'hrrh' - now everything makes sense, glad I stuck with the standard resolution. I just recovered from 'SzSSS' "Sony Z sh*t screen syndrome" :D

14. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I did look at the refurbs, however I can't claim education discount (and get cheap AppleCare) with them. There's also the issue with ordering online; I'll end up with a display that's dodgy or something.

Think I'll be going through tomorrow to get it exchanged.