15" base model 2.0GHz vs 2.3GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xuic333, Oct 29, 2013.

1. xuic333 macrumors newbie

I seldom play computer game now. just use it for watching movies,search information, word, ppt etc. sometimes photoshop or coding.
    so I've decided to buy a 15" base model which is enough for me I think.

But I am not sure about whether the upgrade 2.0 to 2.3 is worthwhile.
    Because the 2.0 GHz Crystalwell processor does not have Intel vPro technology and Transactional Synchronization Extensions – New Instructions (IntelTSX-NI). (I have totally no idea about these two....)

Can you tell me what are the two things for and are they important or worth to upgrade?

Thanks.

2. glasshead13 macrumors member

No, you do not need to spend the money on a processor bump. Use it for something that would be worth your while like more RAM or a bigger SSD.

Processors are going to help with 3D work, such as CAD, Rendering things like movies or doing transcodes. Those are processor intensive tasks. That's not to say that the base 15" can't do those things, but it might take 20 seconds longer to do a 15 minute encode than the 2.3. Since you probably aren't going to do any of these things, your money would be better spent on RAM which would help with photoshop, or more SSD storage which is always great to have.

As far as I have heard, Intel vPro is something that has to be implemented at the bios level, and macs don't take advantage of this feature regardless if the processor does or does not have it. Someone correct me if this is wrong, but that's the last I heard on it. Most likely since you won't be using this processor to its full potential anyways, you will never notice it. I wouldn't not get the base 15" model over these features because you could honestly use an Air for your computer uses. The base pro is going to be plenty powerful for your needs.

3. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I think bigger SSD over 16GB RAM but thats me.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1662700