15" Best bang for your buck build?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dyehead, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dyehead macrumors newbie

Dumb question perhaps, but I was looking at getting the 15" MBP with the 6770M, and the Matte display and was trying to plot out the best combination of parts to either buy myself or have apple put in, and what order to take it from there, once I've made my purchase.

I'm looking at the 15" 2.4 ($250 doesn't seem worth it for the 2.5, convince me otherwise please!)

I'll get the 4 gigs of ram, because I can replace it with 8 gigs of corsair for $50 on newegg.

I was thinking about getting the 128SSD for $100 and replacing the superdrive with an optibay ($99?) and buying a 750gig 7200RPM drive for $129

Looks like it's the same price either way (if I get the 750 7200 in the machine and the SSD after the fact) ($50 for the 7200 and $179 for a 120GB SSD)

The other option is for me to get a seagate momentus 500GB hybrid drive and the 750GB 7200RPM drive built in (I never want to run out of storage!). My only concern is transferring the OS (I'd do this pretty much immediately) to the seagate to take advantage of the SSD. Is this a pretty easy thing to do? I have yet to look around the other forums here to find some good info on that, my next task, but I was wondering if anyone else has been successful with this. I'd likely want to use bootcamp and install 7Pro x64, which I'm completely unfamiliar with, and I wonder how the drives are partitioned between mac and windows, whether they can share files between them.. I'm pretty sure the momentus would have problems if you tried using it as your boot device for both windows and lion.. but I don't have the experience with it to guess.

I guess I'm trying to get the best of both worlds and leave the machine open to a fair amount of customization and possibilities. Anyone have any contributions that might sway me one way or another?

Thanks!

2. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

looks good, my only suggestion is to opt out of the SSD and purchase one from newegg instead, cuz Apple only ships inferior SSDs(Toshibas..etc.).

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

4. torid110 macrumors regular

no problems using the hybrid drive with bootcamp. I have it installed on my aluminum MBP. As for copying files between the 2 partitions, i've only tried it when booted into windows. I see the osx partition and can read/copy files.

As for moving the OS between the old drive and the new drive, i've used carbon copy cloner with great success.

5. dyehead thread starter macrumors newbie

You've tried having Lion and your windows partitions on the same hybrid drive? How does the flash memory know what the most used blocks are if you're constantly switching back and forth?

6. torid110 macrumors regular

No idea how it does it, but both sides seem plenty fast. The firmware probably "tags" the hot blocks and that's what it caches, regardless of which partition it's on.

7. dyehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Just talked with my buddy who thinks I can stripe 2 momentus's for crazy speeds... so tempting.. I still need the laptop first, but this is the fun part, right? the planning!

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Right now I think the base 15" is the best value - it is effectively the former high end with 512 MB less VRAM and a 500 GB vs. a 750 GB HD.

What I'm going to do is get the base 15", put in 8 GB of RAM, and a 750 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi HD.

9. dyehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but if I ever do get an itch to play games I think the extra vram would be worth it, no?

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

Best bang of buck = 15" base 2011 + Matte Display + 3rd party upgrades. :)