Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuzzyMcDoodle

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I installed ArmA 2 + OA with ACE and tested it out.

On mostly high with a few medium, and SMAA instead of FXAA on, I get solid 30+ at all times on Cheranus, including dense forest areas. Temps rarely went above 80C, and clocks at max were 770~/2000~

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
what screen do you had? the high ress or not?

iam still confuse about getting the new one, i don't have CC so i can't buy online and the last option to get the 1440 x 900 but i still doubt about it

I got the standard display. I bought mine from Best Buy. I can live with it. I have monitors I can hook up for higher resolution. Standard works for me. All my footage I work with is 720p from my HD-PVR.

Last edited:

omgitswes

Apr 23, 2012
Benchies don't really mean much to me since I don't know what the previous model's were.

Comparing this the late 2011 model, is it worth the extra few hundred? Only game I'd really play on here is Diablo, mainly getting this for experience with OSX

rfnv

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I installed ArmA 2 + OA with ACE and tested it out.

On mostly high with a few medium, and SMAA instead of FXAA on, I get solid 30+ at all times on Cheranus, including dense forest areas. Temps rarely went above 80C, and clocks at max were 770~/2000~

are those your CPU core temps? mine hits 105 degrees and then it throttles itself down regularly in BF3. i'd expect arma to place a bigger load on the system...

Kaemon

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Here you go.

So thats interesting... I know the i7-930 is a bit old, so I understand that, but interesting that its score is higher than my AMD6970 for GPU. Overall thats higher than my current PC... frightening.

FuzzyMcDoodle

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
are those your CPU core temps? mine hits 105 degrees and then it throttles itself down regularly in BF3. i'd expect arma to place a bigger load on the system...

No, those are GPU temps. I have a pretty good notebook cooler that I imagine helps maintain the temps, but after a few hours of constant play it never throttled.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Booted up some old Benchmark programs today after I installed my SSD.

Only benchmark that would not run was Aquamark due to Windows 7.

More in the next post.

3DMark2001 apparently had a 999fps limit and during the lobby scene it was maxed out several times at that.

I would just like to say, THANK YOU! I've been looking for some good benchmarks on the 2012 MBPs (non-retina), as I plan to pick one up (650M 1GB model) and do a Crucial M4 swap as well.

One question: how is it sound-wise when gaming under full load? How are the temps?

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I would just like to say, THANK YOU! I've been looking for some good benchmarks on the 2012 MBPs (non-retina), as I plan to pick one up (650M 1GB model) and do a Crucial M4 swap as well.

One question: how is it sound-wise when gaming under full load? How are the temps?

I didn't have anything installed to view temps when I was testing. When fans were at full RPM you could here them but with the sound coming from the speakers and being in a room with background noise it wasn't bad at all.

Temps on the OS X side max out at 98C when I am using Handbrake and that has the fans running at full RPM.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
How does temperatures look on cMBP? In Idle, surfing on Web, Playing some games, and on full stress?

Edit: Ok I see on the OP ;). But if Anyone know any reviews that have checked it, it would be nice.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
How does temperatures look on cMBP? In Idle, surfing on Web, Playing some games, and on full stress?

Edit: Ok I see on the OP ;). But if Anyone know any reviews that have checked it, it would be nice.

Idle it stays around 44C for me. While surfing the web it cam hit 50C once in awhile. When playing games the CPU will get to around 75-80C. Under 100% load it stays at 98C.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I keep looking for a good quality competitor in the PC laptop world but I'm having trouble finding one. Guess I'll have to pull the trigger and just get a MBP

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Have you by any chance had time to run the FFXIV benchmark yet?

I just did and it was around ~3,300. Every time I try to print screen the App goes away on me.

Also I did a Benchmark with GTA IV with all settings maxed @ 1440x900 and it averaged 67FPS.

EDIT:
I bought BF3 today and I must say I am rather impressed with the way this machine handles modern games. With the Res set at 1440x900 and letting the game AUTO the rest of the settings. Most being on High with a few on MEDIUM that game runs at a smooth 60FPS with V-Sync on. Drops to 45FPS here and there. The game looks gorgeous. Been playing BF3 on Xbox 360 for awhile and the graphics smoke that of Xbox 360.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.