15" Core i5 vs Core i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibizarocks, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Although i'm hardly impressed by the prices and specs of these 'new' machines I need one so I'm buying!

Just need to know before I make the plunge. Is the i7 variant with the extra GPU ram really worth it? I would use the extra power in my work but I honestly need to know if I'd notice any difference as for a few seconds less waiting it would hardly justify the price.

Thanks in advance guys

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you don't tell us anything about what you use your machine for, we can't help you.

3. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

ADOBE stuff from after effects to indesign

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

<thread hijack>Same question – I use a Mac Pro for work, so would use this for gaming – is the extra ram on the GPU worth the price?</thread hijack>

5. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

It is only a $200 price difference. I would go with the I7 and enjoy the extra power for long term use.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

GPU memory isn't a concern for gaming anymore. It might be a concern for non-gaming applications though.

7. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

yeh I am thinking that as I like to keep my laptops a minimum of 2-3 years. just don't want to pay the extra for something if technically it isn't worth it

8. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

What is the difference between the i5 and i7? I read on google that there's not much a difference... Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

9. solarein macrumors regular

GPU memory isn't a concern anymore because modern GPUs come with 1GB or more standard.

When the GPU memory is a paltry 256MB, it can be a big problem.

10. ryanzec macrumors member

I too am wondering if the i7 is worth the +200 in the 17 inch model. the most intense thing I will be doing in game programming with Unity.