15" Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NewGuyHere, May 11, 2012.

1. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

Okay guys, so my parents and I have come to a decision, and I am getting a 15" MBP yay =D. Now I have two options. Go for the lower spec one with antiglare OR glossy hi-res screen or the high spec with the normal screen. WHat should I go for? I am going to use this computer for some photoshop, iMovie, run my youtube account, internet, some games, maybe bf3?, and some other things. SO low end w/ hi res screen or high end w/out hi res 15"?

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Get a low end without high res screen and use monies to get a separate screen.

3. Madlamz macrumors newbie

Is it possible for you to get a summer job and chip in a bit so you can get the high end with the high resolution screen?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

low end with high res screen. The performance difference is marginal, but the high-res anti-glare screen is so much better!

The other option would be to go for a refurbished high-end early 2011 model with AG screen.

5. Astroboy907, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Go for hi res antiglare if you can afford it. If you are working in photoshop a lot in a bright room the glossy can get annoying

Edit: If you can wait a month or two more, apple should be releasing a new Macbook pro.

After that, get the fastest processor in your model. This is non-replaceble, so go for the highest out of the box

Upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself- apple charges about $150 too much for a RAM upgrade. You can save quite a lot doing upgrades yourself.

Thats what I would do (I am 15 and just got my first laptop... its an 08 but good enough for me!)

** Ass for HDD... Go up to 7200 rpm if you can sacrifice the battery... then put in an SSD if you really need the speed yourself and either sell the drive or put the SSD in the optibay (which the new model might not have)

6. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

I have a 17" MBP AntiGlare from 3 years ago - works like new, but I never liked the Anti-Glare too much. Even though it has it.

I went with a new MBP 15 2.4G HD, no anti-glare.

I do a TON of photo editing, DSLR RAW photos on Aperture, Lightroom.

I do some HD video editing.

Love the MBP 15 with just HD, no anti-glare. I love the dark blacks on the non-anti-glare.

7. Comet5o4 macrumors member

Go anti-glare hi-res if you can. Im a photographer and have used both glossy and matte screens. The glossy screen is nice, but can over saturate the colors a little bit... So if you're doing photo editing, the anti-glare is more realistic. Extra pixels are always good. :)

8. NewGuyHere thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am waiting for the new gen of MPB, but I am not going to use this laptop as a desktop, it will be my laptop for wherever I am. I am still in my dilemma, is the extra couple hundred going to be worth it?

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If those are your only 2 choices, I would go Hi-Spec since you're gaming also. Pixel size can be fixed with an external monitor. Extra graphics or CPU cannot.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Lower end with higher resolution display.

CPU and GPU difference is nominal. RAM and HDD/SSD can be upgraded later. The regular display and the high resolution matte display as worlds apart.

Maybe consider a high end Early 2011 model. It's basically the same thing. Might end up cheaper, though not sure how that plays out when it's being paid for by someone else.

11. NewGuyHere thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty, I will go for the high res, as I saw gameplay of bf3 on the current low wend and it was pretty good.

12. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

If you have to get it now because you have nothing to use then get the high-res screen. Otherwise, wait for the WWDC in June, Apple might release new MacBook Pro in WWDC ;)

13. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Getting the anti-glare high res later on is just a matter of using a screwdriver and a spatula.

Getting the higher spec machine is a matter of using a professional BGA rework station.

The former is easier than the latter. For this reason, I would say get the better spec'd machine. Do the anti-glare high res upgrade when you can afford it.

On the other hand, it is easy to notice the difference in a different screen. 200 MHz, not so much.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Is it? Have you done this?

15. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely go for the low end. If you have the chance to check out and compare the anti glare in the store do so, you may prefer the glossy, and the lower resolution may be more than enough. And as someone else said, you can get an external monitor later on down the road if you find you need more screen estate.

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Yes.

The matte bezel isn't made for the 2008/2009 back covers. It has two stubbles sticking out, with no matching holes in the 2008/2009 back cover. That can be removed with an exacto, and it will stick on perfectly.

The 2010/2011 back covers, the bezel fits like a glove.