15"+external 23" vs 24"iMac+mb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubble27, Jul 28, 2008.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

Hey all.....again

The dilemma first started with the 15" vs 17".
    Now ive been thinking isnt it better to get a 24" iMac with top specs and much better gpu with a portable 13" low end mbp????
    Play games with ease, back all data, not worry about connecting to an external every time i come home....

The price is about the same which is rediculous really!! come on...

15"mbp £1,600
    23"cinema display £600

24" iMac £1,389
    13" MB £600

You know with this price difference probs even get the 24" and the macbook air! hah

Oh btw....13% discount cause im a student :D

2. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

I would for sure go with the iMac + Macbook!!!

3. mladenz macrumors regular

Imac and macbook ofcourse. Its almost the same price. But instead of 1 mac and 1 screen, you get a mac with a wonderfull 24inch screen and a macbook.

Def go with the imac and macbook.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If managing data between the 2 Macs won't be an issue, then get the iMac + MacBook.

5. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

You might wan't to consider purchasing a subscription to MobileMe, and a fire wire cable for target disk mode. (unless slow network transfer speed don't bother you...)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Go for the Mid range white model, or the blackbook, and then get the 2.8ghz iMac but do a BTO with the 8800. The speed jump from 2.8 to 3.06 is negligible unless your in a professional situation, where the odds are you wouldn't be using an iMac anyway.

Don't forget to wait until the August even to see what Apple brings out ;)

For managing data between the 2 computers, just turn on sharing on the iMac in system preferences.

7. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you get a BTO of a better GPU??

August hey? Cool! might just wait and see then

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes if you order the 2.8 you can BTO a 8800 GS

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

iMac + Macbook. But with the macbook, get the mid range or the Blackbook, because I'm pretty sure that Apple still has a combo drive in the low end Macbook:mad:, why I have no idea:confused:

Don

10. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok guys! i think i've finally decided what im gonna do...

MBP 15" top end.

32" tv and console hahah :p

I know its abit different but it cost the same dough! so....best to go with this.

Now....ps3 or xbox heheh

xD

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I like 360's media center capabilities, but that's personal preference of course.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Apple still has a Macbook with a combo drive EXACTLY SO THAT people will do what you just described. Buy a more expensive model with extra other features and power they don't need, just to get a superdrive.

13. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have something personal against Microsoft?

AFAIK they don't make overpriced computers and their Chairman is a philanthropist.

15. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I would say get a low end MBP 15" rather than top end (and possibly just pick the option for 250GB for very little extra money). Then get a Dell or some other 24" monitor.
    Why?
    1. Because for 99% of people, the low end MBP is more than enough power. It will run games and intensive applications with no problems.
    2. Paying for a top end computer is a waste. You don't get that much more performance for the price you pay for top end. In a few months the will come out with a brand new MBP and it'll make your old one lose considerable value. You simply can not future proof your computer by getting top end. It's much easier and cheaper to get the low end now and upgrade more often if needed. You'll spend less money and you will have the latest computer.
    3. The Apple Cinema display is really way too expensive. A very nice Dell which will compare to the iMac screen will be 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the Apple Cinema display. Often times Dell will use the exact same panel as the Apple Cinema Display. Dell also has a lot more options for connecting other devices if you ever need to do so.

Here are the pros to doing what I recommend:
    1. You will cut your costs in half.
    2. You will have one computer and never have to worry about syncing them. Trust me it'll be a big pain when you do something on the iMac and then take the Macbook with you and you realized you forgot to sync. Your work was left on the iMac at home.
    3. Don't forget that with a MBP + 24" you will get two monitors. You can extend the display so you will essentially have one huge desktop that spans from your 24" to your MBP 15"(which is equivalent to a 17" monitor). So in essence you will get the equivalent to a 27"-30" Monitor. Another thought here is why not just get a 20" Monitor? When you pair that up with MBP, it will have more real estate than the 24" iMac. On top of that 20" monitors are soooo cheap, cutting your costs even further. This is what I do at home and I love it. You can have two big applications open side by side (which is even tough on the 24" iMac). Just buy a little stand for MBP so it lines up with your external monitor.

This technique will be way cheaper than iMac + MB and way more convenient. Just something to think about.

Kan-O-Z

16. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

The PS3 has the same media center capabilites as 360. 360 is no better than PS3. Actually I would argue to say the PS3 is overall a more powerful system than 360. Blu-Ray games and movies, Cell processor(one of the most powerful processors on the market today), blue tooth and wifi all built in. True HD. PS3 all the way!

17. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Agreed, it's worth splurging that little extra to get an MB with a superdrive

18. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

iMac - Maxed out 20 or basic 24
    MacBook (Black)

Why?

You have the best of both worlds, in 2 awesome computers.

19. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP Penryn base w/ 23" ACD.

You can save some $$ by being resourceful. The MBP I got for $1820 total from MacConnection here in the US ($150 rebate, no tax, free shipping). I got the ACD for $550 used thru eBay (total price shipped), one year old, perfect condition, box and everything. $50 for wireless keyboard, $40 for vx nano (both ebay and new).

Fast as heck, run in dual monitor mode, less space taken up, don't have to sync computers, etc, etc.

Grand total = $2460.

20. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Not bad. :)

21. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I beg to differ. I use a 2405 in the office, my 23" ACD is leagues ahead in image quality. Granted the latest Dell is improved, but they're both PVA panels, and the ACD is S-IPS.

Please look at this review to get an idea of the differences you can expect in image quality. You may be surprised by some of the limitations of a PVA panel (I verified the images on both my 2405 at work and 23" ACD at home - right on the money)

http://monitortest.blogspot.com/

As I mentioned above the used market on eBay will net you a 23" ACD for $500-600 in excellent condition. No need to pay the same for an inferior panel.

22. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...yeh but dont it cost alot to buy every 18months or so?
    I was thinking about keeping it 2-3 years :rolleyes:

In gcse economics they say theres two ways of going about these things:
    i. Save on expenses
    ii. Maximise profits

I think i'd prefer to find a way to make some money and get the high end 15" :D

I think my conclusion is to (if i can afford) get a 32" lcd tv, xbox and 15" mobile MBP :rolleyes:
    Hope they make 15" with 1080 output!!!

....i know that means giving up pc gaming :/ might try the mbp on the 32" to see if it will manage any gaming :eek:

xbox > ps3

Only and only cause of their wicked online gaming servers

23. danvdr macrumors regular

Gotta go with KanOZ on this one. I run 24" Dell with my 2GH MB and it does all I need ('net, e-mail, iPhoto, Elements, etc.) quite well and the extra screen real-estate (two monitors) is very nice. Make it a MBP you can do games, etc. Upgrading in 1-1.5 years you should be able to sell the system for 2/3 or 3/4 of the original price.

24. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I never said to buy a new MBP one every 18 months if you go low end. What makes you think the high end will last twice as long as the low end. Sorry to tell you this but when the old low end is way outdated, so will the old high end.

Think of it this way. Right now you pay a premium to go from 2.4GHz to 2.6. Three years from now, they might be up to 4.0GHz with 16GB RAM and 1TB HD! This high end machine that you're going to pay for now will be worthless in 3 years so why not just stick to low end. It really is a powerful machine even low end and will satisfy 99% of people out there. High end is for that 1% of people who are doing something so intensive right now that the low end doesn't cut it. I can't imagine what that might even be.

25. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Yes yes the ACD is ultimately nicer but can you really tell the difference? I really can't. I have a Dell 2007FPW and all I can say is that it looks just as good as an iMac, maybe even better....as I have spent time in front of both. Remember I wasn't saying the Dell is as good as ACD but it sure is just as good as an iMac which is what we should compare this to since the OP was initially thinking iMac. All I am saying is this. If you use education discount, here is what you get:

15" MBP - $1800
    20" Dell - $250
    =$2050! (By the way you also get ipod Touch and $100 printer free)!

For a little over $2000, this setup will match a 24" iMac/Macbook combo and is way way cheaper! I think this is a great way to go :)

Kan-O-Z