Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Today I was helping to set up an older G4 15" MBP that my brother gave to my dad and I went to use both fingers to scroll just like I do all the time on my intel 15" MBP and was shocked to see that the feature didn't exist in the mouse/keyboard settings. I just assumed that feature was always there with the MBP line for some reason. I did a google search and noticed there was some hack to allow for it, but the file to download was no longer available. Does anybody know anything more about this? Just trying to make my dad's first apple experience as pleasant as possible.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Today I was helping to set up an older G4 15" MBP that my brother gave to my dad and I went to use both fingers to scroll just like I do all the time on my intel 15" MBP and was shocked to see that the feature didn't exist in the mouse/keyboard settings. I just assumed that feature was always there with the MBP line for some reason. I did a google search and noticed there was some hack to allow for it, but the file to download was no longer available. Does anybody know anything more about this? Just trying to make my dad's first apple experience as pleasant as possible.

The reason why it doesn't have the feature is because it's a PowerBook, not a MBP. There's a difference, you know. All MBPs have Intel processors, while PowerBooks had PPC processors. Only the last few generations of PowerBooks supported two-finger scrolling, so you probably don't have a later model.

First few results in Google turned up with these two sites:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050209234417118

http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net/

You may want to simply Google your next question to save yourself (and others) some time.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
You mean a G4 Powerbook, not Macbook Pro.

And how old is the Powerbook? Mine is 2 years old and has the 2 finger scroll. 1.67 Ghz.

Anyway, I believe there were at least 2 different drivers that you could download to make it have this behaviour...Keep googling and you should find them...I can't remember off the top of my head what their names are.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Only the last few generations of PowerBooks supported two-finger scrolling, so you probably don't have a later model.

This is probably the reason. I think it was only in the last two revisions of the PowerBook that featured two-finger scrolling on the trackpad. What speed/processor model is it?

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
this thread was actually useful...I wasn't aware of iscroll2...I thought the hardware just didn't support it. Guess I was wrong.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
this thread was actually useful...I wasn't aware of iscroll2...I thought the hardware just didn't support it. Guess I was wrong.

Yup...it was out way before Apple decided to make it standard on the Powerbooks back in 05.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sorry about the Powerbook mistake. I've really only made the real conversion to my MBP back in January so I didn't realize the difference. I just called it a MBP because it also had the brushed aluminum exterior and knew it was a step above the normal Macbooks. Anyway, now I know.

I'll check out the information posted above in the next couple of days when I take another look at my dad's POWERBOOK ;)

By the way, I think the PB is about 2-3 years old. It was my brother's and he doesn't remember exactly. I believe it's the 1.67 ghz model with the 80gig HD. It was also one of the 15" models that was plagued with the screen problem of the white blotches.

CrimsonScythe

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
FYI I have the model that came before your dad's, a 3 years old 1.5GHz PowerBook, and iscroll2 works like a charm!

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Anybody have a working download for the iScroll2 file? The sourceforge file I download never opens. Stuffit always has an error. Every site I've found through google just links to the same sourceforge link.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
iScroll

I had no idea about this application, it's marvellous. I wish i'd found it 2 years ago!

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I downloaded it from sourceforge 2 days ago.

I just tried again this morning and the file seems to be working again. I think there were problems with the website yesterday. I'll try installing it on my dad's computer today and see how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.