15" glossy vs matte for small presentations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmaxdmax, Jun 26, 2007.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Is 15" matte or glossy better for showing something to 6-8 people crowded around a table? I teach after-school video editing and don't have the guarantee of a projector or even an external monitor. (actual editing happens in smaller groups so that part isn't a problem but I need to show examples and final results to the whole group.)

I'm getting an ACD for desk work so wouldn't be stuck w/glossy full-time.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Matte would probably be better in my opinion because of the glare of reflections from a glossy display.

3. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Is there any practical difference in brightness/clarity at 6ish feet?

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I've always though that Glossy was brighter and clearer if you're in a controlled-light environment.

Disclaimer: My Macbook Pros, as well as every other screen I own, are Matte. I'm basing this only on seeing the Macbook Pro's at the Apple Store.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd say matte, although if the lights don't shine on the screen so you get glare, then you could get away with using a glossy. If you're unsure of how the lights will affect the screen, get the matte screen.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I choose glossy. Most of the time it will be just me looking at the screen, so I can adjust viewing angles. However, for that many people, you're going to want to get matte. Even if you see the screen great with glossy, probably someone from a different angle won't be able to see as well.

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

from personal experience, i think matte has a wider range of viewing angle. mine is glossy, but i'm the only one who uses it

8. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Well, I suppose I could be a test subject on the whole matte/glossy thing. If I have an ACD w/a glossy MBP it would be easy to see over time if I found myself using one more than the other (in those situations where I have a choice). If I'm surfing/emailing in the comfy chair and find myself gravitating to the office ACD it might mean I prefer the matte experience. (Or it might mean that I like more real estate regardless of the finish, proving nothing).

Of course if I don't move it could just mean I'm lazy.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post a review when the time comes. (tax holiday + shipping days)