15" GPU -- 256MB or 1G?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubsfan334, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cubsfan334 macrumors newbie

Could someone please explain the significance of the GPU? I'm going off to college next year and will probably be buying a 15" Pro, but I'm not sure if the high-end model is worth it for me; the slight processor boost certainly isn't. I'm getting a pro because I occasionally do tasks such as hardcore photo/video editing and number crunching (mathematica etc). However, I don't do 3D rendering or anything, so I'm not sure if the 1G AMD would be necessary. I'd like to future-proof my computer (be using it for the next 4 years) and also occasionally play things like NBA 2K11 or COD etc.

Would the 256MB version be enough? I really don't know very much about graphics cards.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

GPU - graphics processing unit. Its what renders your images on the screen.

Faster GPUs, faster performance. Here's what Wiki says about GPU

3. prism macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You will get not only way more future proofness with the higher end GPU but also it's resale value will be substantially better. The 6490 actually fares worse than last year's 330m!!!

4. Torrijos macrumors 6502

If you happen to play anything in 3D, like COD ( ;) ), you're better off with the 1GB version.

It will probably be even more important to have a good GPU with enough VideoRAM in the future when more programs use OpenCL.

So yeah 1GB is the way to go.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Gpu is important in gaming and video decoding / encoding.

Also the better gpu will benefit you more if you intend on keep your MacBook a while.

6. toxic macrumors 68000

if you don't do anything in 3D, then the more powerful GPU won't help. beyond that, VRAM is only an issue with multiple monitors - if you connect an external, each display gets half of the available VRAM...but that still only presents a problem if your software actually use it for something.

I don't think you need the upgrade.