15" Hi-Res Glossy or 17" Glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ApplePu macrumors regular

I spent quite some time in the apple store today to compare the 15" vs the 17". I really like the look of the 17" as it is on the table, but i'm afraid that it will be too big to use it on the go. isn't it too huge to work in train or lets say at starbucks? i wouldn't move it everyday but i'd like to have it with me sometimes.....

additionally, i think the 17" are looking smaller at the large desks in apple store than they would in a standard home office but i'm just so impressed by the screen and the huge real estate.

would i get a similar impression and feeling by the new 15" hi-res display?

Can you give me advice about how the 17-incher is usable in everyday practice?

2. macjaffa macrumors member

I am interested in others views on the 17 vs the 15 for daily general use etc...

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Let me guess, you just made an account to get help, and I guess you are not new to Mac. Or you are?

If you are new to using Macintosh, you should know by now that the screen size doesn't matter. The performance that you want is what you should look forward to.

17-inch
    -Bigger screen, and could pay $100 more for higher resolution
    -Matte screen available, no glossy
    -Better processor speed and it's good to watch Blue Ray movies on it
    -Game should be laggy-er compared to 15-inch model.

15-inch
    -Better for carrying them around as you have stated, compared to 17-inch model
    -This should be affordable for people who are looking to by high-end MBPs
    -Slightly less powerful than 17-inch, and if you are into light-to-medium gaming, you should be able to play with better fps (frames per second) on 15-inch than 17-inch.

There is a section called Compare All in online apple store:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

I'm sorry if I have not answered your question, but this is what happens to everyone. If you are looking for good-looking laptop, 17-inch should be yours.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The 17" is a monster. It's portable, but not sure I'd want to haul it around much. Also it's too big to use in a coach airplane seat. It really comes down to whether you want a machine to take around daily or just time to time.

17" screen is 1920x1200. There is no higher rez screen available. You can get glossy -- it's standard in fact. Matte is $50 extra. The proc. is the same as in the 15" MBP (i5 2.53Ghz). Not sure how that is better than the 15", and Blu-Ray on a Mac? Since when?

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I've had a 15" in the past. I have a 17" now (not the new models). In my opinion if you want to be on the go, then get the 15". Now with the high res model the difference in screen real estate won't be so big. The 17" is too heavy/big to be carrying around all day and taking it in and out of your bags (like you would in a college environment). The 15" smaller size and weight make it much more portable.

If you plan to use it at a desk most of the time and occasionally take it somewhere else then the 17" is fine.

6. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

well i guess i'll use it at my desk for about 70% of the time. the other 30% will be on another desk or probably somewhere on the go. i just want to be sure that i won't regret it because when i spend that amount of money for a notebook it should last a little while ...

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

The 17 is only 1 lb heavier - to 6.5 lbs. This seems to be the weight of most windows mid tier 15" laptops that you can see on Best Buy. Not sure that it really is as heavy as you would imply. Also the dimensions are only an extra inch in length and width. I think it appears bigger/heavier than it is in reality.

8. GatorJeff macrumors newbie

Hi-Res

I am going to buy a new 15" MacBook Pro (my first). Can anyone tell me if the Hi-Res screen upgrade for $100 is worth it? I will be using the machine for light use (no graphics or movies). I don't mind paying the $100 just want to be sure it makes sense. Thanks!

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It appears big because it is big. No getting around that one. It's not a joy to carry around anymore than a 6.5lb windows laptop. It's more of a mobile desktop alternative than a true laptop you'd take to work/class every day

Probably not. In fact, you might hate the smaller text.

10. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Quite true. Unless you want antiglare I might very well stay standard res in the 15"

11. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

for my uses and needs, the 17 inch is far too big.

thats what she said?

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If you need a full HD screen because of what you do, then get the 17" MBP. If you don't, the 15" one with the 1680 screen seems like a perfect alternative. The weight difference (1lb) isn't that big - or at least it didn't make much difference to me once in the bag. The physical dimensions do make the 15" MBP a bit easier to handle in tight quarters.

So ask yourself what is more important for you: full HD screen or mobility.

13. laela macrumors regular

laela

Why not the matte display? Are you planning to use the MacBook Pro for work, or mainly entertainment purposes?

If you are planning any work at all, the glossy option would be entirely unsuitable -- the light reflected into your eyes and constant refocusing needed will tire you out and give you headaches in a short order.

This will quickly make you regret your $2K investment.

However, for viewing movies or playing games or surfing the web (with no serious reading involved) it should be OK.

14. breatheasy macrumors member

I'm ashamed, but i lol'd.

15. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

I'm a photographer and for me, the 17" anti-glare was a no brainer for the work I do. Screen real estate and pixel count are more important than the weight.

I personally don't find the 17" that much lager and is about the same as the average 15" windows machine.

However if your a student or do a lot of typing in the work you do the 17" screen resolution is to high and would be uncomfortable to use for long period of time. The 15" is much more suited to this type of stuff.

16. stumbletown macrumors newbie

If FPS was an issue, wouldn't you be able to turn down the in game resolution in the 17"?

As a 17" owner, I haven't found it to be too unwieldy. I have a decent messenger bag, so mobility is not much of an issue, though it gets a little heavy on long rides, but I'm not sure shaving a pound off would make much of a difference.

17. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

thank you guys....

i still don't know what to go for....

i understand that in general i would probably be better served with a 15" because of the smaller form factor.

but that 17" display is just looking so damn nice. i did a comparison between a standard 15" and the 17" at the store today in iphoto. there's so much more detail when watching images on the 17", it's really stunning.

so i ask myself if i would get a similar wow effect from the hi-res 15".......

oh man i would really finish my order now, and just don't know what to do......:(

18. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i don't think you should lose too much sleep over it. whichever one you pick it is going to be an amazing machine and you will be more then happy with it so just go with your gut since there really isn't a "wrong" choice.

19. man02195 macrumors regular

The hi-res 15" is a good compromise, more portable, but also gives you more screen real estate than the std-def 15"

20. austinted macrumors newbie

I've had a 17" for almost a year and have also been able to spend some time with the 15". The 15" is indeed smaller and can be handled easier, but it is certainly no iPad next to the 17". In my use it is not a life altering size difference. As noted, the 17" is similar in size and weight to many older 15.4" windows notebooks. In fact, my old windows notebook couldn't fit into anything smaller than a bag made for the 17" MBP. When I switched to the 17" MBP it was actually thinner and lighter with just a slightly bigger footprint.

I haven't had any problems taking the 17" anywhere including coach seating on airplanes. It fits on the tray and I've had no problem from there. There are some aircraft where things are tight (distance from screen to eyes), but I don't think the 15" would have helped a whole lot in those situations. Things are getting really bad in coach.

I wouldn't want to carry the 17" in a shoulder bag for the whole day, but I don't think the 15" would would solve that either being only 1lb less. If I had to carry the thing all day I would be looking at a 13" or an MBA.

Pixel density is about the same on the 17" as compared to the 15" highres. If that's hard to read, then the 1440x900 15" screen might be worth a look.

This really comes down to a personal choice. There is really no right answer and it depends on your use, your own physical size, and perhaps even your mood. 17" versus 15" might not be a big deal for somebody who is 6' tall. But somebody who is 5'2" might want to save as much size and weight as possible.

The only issue I have had with the 17" is that it attracts attention. When you open that big beautiful screen heads will turn. The 15" is just as nice, but flies under the radar a bit better.

21. auero macrumors 65816

The difference in one pound and the size just dont make sense to me. It's probably one of the lighest and smallest 17" laptops youll find and its hardly bigger than the 15".

Attached Files:

22. tim100 macrumors 65816