15" i5 MBP won't sleep when closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cutsman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

I picked up a new 15" i5 MBP last week. 2 days later, I got 2 kernel panics and some various beeps at boot up. Took it back to the store and got a replacement yesterday.

Now I have a new problem. When I close the lid, the screen shuts off and it goes to sleep for maybe a few seconds, then suddenly, the screen will come back on (apple logo on the back will illuminate again). When i open the screen just a crack, i can see it is indeed not asleep and the desktop is displayed on the screen. I'm not sure what's going on or whether there's some setting I'm missing, but here's what i've tried:

1. return energy saver settings to default
    2. disable bluetooth
    3. repair permissions
    4. reset PRAM
    5. apply software updates, including OSX to 10.6.4

anybody have similar issue? any ideas? I hope I don't have to return this one too since this is already the second time i've had to transfer all my stuff from my old imac and setup everything as i like it.... :confused:

still the same issue. any ideas

2. hl450 macrumors member

I heard some people claiming that it's hardware issue.. apparently something was wrong with a device which checks if the lid is closed or not. you probably have to get another replacement.