15" i7 ~1 week ownership review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neondrgns, Apr 25, 2010.

1. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

Hi everyone I just wanted to give a user experience review of the macbook pro 15" core i7 machine after extensive use over a 1 week period. I will not be discussing technical stats as there are plenty of threads, but just my observations over the smaller more day to day aspects.

1.) The Screen - 15" standard glossy
    I feel like the screen is fine, and the upgrade to hi res and/or matte is not necessary in my case. my g/f has the 15" matte screen, and when using it indoors, I dont see or really notice reflections in either. Right now I have 2 standing lamps and a desk lamp facing it and I can only see a slight reflection of my hands on the bottom of the screen. At full brightness the reflections are nearly gone so not a big issue.

2.) Temperature - the heat is much better than older models keyboard wise. I see a lot of people stating how the i7 gets really hot...and it does, but the keyboard stays only slightly warm. However where the hinge meets the screen gets really hot as logically that is where the vent is. the only part that worries me is that if I run some heavy programs, theres a plasticy smell that comes out.

3.) Speakers - I feel like the sound is much better, comparing it to a 2008 8600gt model it sounds clearer and louder. I usually plugged notebooks into external speakers, but its not as necessary in this case. I am listening to pandora now, and the speakers arent out of this world but more than acceptable.

4.) Keyboard/Trackpad - so this is actually kinda annoying. I hate the big track pad. I bought a bluetooth mouse cause I cant stand it. One of the major problems is that it takes too long to click, and this may be the difference in milliseconds, but its annoying. you have to lift your finger off to click, if you try to click with a second finger sometimes the trackpad doesnt recognize the first finger and moves your cursor. tap to click option does help, but then you lose tactile feed back. Another main issue is that when you type if you lean your palms on the palmrest, you thumbs cover the corners of trackpad, and if you lift your thumbs when typing then it will recognize this as movement and a click, so when I type it will mess up move the cursor higher, and I will type in an area I dont want to.

5.) 2 USB ports - doesn't really bother me. I dont really need to be plugging in a ton of things, and for my purposes my external monitor has a built in hub anyways.

6.) SD Card reader - complete crap, who thought having the sd card stick out was a good idea? that means I have to take it out each time so that when I throw it in my bag, I dont damage the card and/or the reader. I would have liked to use the 32gb sdhc cards for a backup file storage, but this is not an option now.

7.) power charger - good looking, but somewhat more annoying than the older magsafe plugs, you can flip it either way, but if you flip it with the arm forward you block the ports, if you flip it back it sometimes gets tugged out. Unless you have the powerblock right behind your laptop, it will tug to the left, and its not a problem cept the plug is still hard and the plug still wants to flip around when you plug it in.

8.) sharp edges - hasn't bothered me yet...they are indeed still sharp but I guess my typing posture doesn't cut into my wrists.

9.) the case itself - People say that it feels more solid...I actually feel like its more flimsy. When I grab the case out of my incase neopreene sleeve there some give to the case lid, and it feels like if I grasp too hard I will dent my case.

10.) Aluminum discoloration - I am terrified of this happening, and it looks like it might happen. I been working quite a bit and typing quite a bit this week and though it seems like it might be my imagination, there seems to be a slight discoloration where my left palm touches the aluminum, its lighter and its clearly an outline of the heel of my palm.

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I had serious pitting issues with my 2008 MBP, so much so that to the casual observer it looks like I have very grubby hands and am leaving huge dirt stains on it. In fact, thats where I've worn away the anodized finish and you are seeing the dull brown/dark gray bare aluminum underneath. It looks awful. The only jewelry I've ever worn has been my wedding ring...no watches, no bracelets. So it's just my sweat that causes the pitting.

That said, the FIRST thing I applied to my 2010 MBP was a Moshi PalmGuard. I'm NOT destroying another palmrest like I did the first one. I suggest you do likewise.

3. neondrgns thread starter macrumors regular

neondrgns

thanks will look into it !

4. BobK macrumors member

Buyer's remorse or happy?

To neondrgns:
    Good comments.
    So bottom line, would you buy it again?

5. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Folks I have a 2008 MacBook and I use it 16-18 hours a day and have no discoloration. You have to clean it with Windex regularly, like twice a week and you will have zero problems. :)

6. neondrgns thread starter macrumors regular

neondrgns

To answer your question: maybe - I do like the overall packaged, but what specifically makes macs unique (besides OSX, which I am not a big fan but thats a different issue) like the trackpad have been getting in the way of productivity.

If I could buy it again, I would. This is the first mac that I can really call my own purchase, and I do like it, but I had been stuck in that waiting for arrandale mire for a long time which undoubtedly added to that initial glamour. now that the smoke has cleared, I am satisfied but not wowed. With my iphone 3gs, I can truly say it went beyond my expectations and is well worth the money, with the macbook pro I can only say its okay.

To the guy who said put windex on it, I actually just tried to use glasses cleaner to see if I can get the white color off, and its a firm no. if you look at it from top down you can't see it, theres no discoloration, if you look at it from an angle you can see my palm prints. I have just ordered a moshi palmguard as per advice up top after reading some reviews.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...so you have a whitebook or an alum book?

I usually use rubbing alcohol on my whitebook but I'll try the windex idea if you have the same case?

8. neondrgns thread starter macrumors regular

neondrgns

observation I left out
    For Windows users on bootcamp:

When your mbp sleeps and then wakes up, bootcamp options will need restarting through the control panel

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I like your shape edge comments lol. Also, nice review ;)
    short N simple, none of that technical crap :p

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

NO!!!! Do not use Windex. What you need is iKlear kit. It is exactly what they use in the Apple store at least once each day to clean the cases and displays. I bought the kit last week which includes 3 soft micro fiber cloths, spray bottle of iKlear, and about 6 packaged wipes for travel. You do not want to use Windex on the plastic case. This stuff is designed for product and works very well. Just spray in the micro fiber cloth, not on the computer

11. silversx macrumors regular

you forget to review the battery performance in your review..

oh wait.. we all know how that is.. when msn messenger causes your 330m to stay on.. you're pretty screwed :D

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Not true. The pitting has been discussed on many forums and it affects some percentage of the population. I cleaned mine with iKlear almost daily for the past 3 years. The pitting started just a few months after I got it and got worse over time. It has nothing to do with cleanliness....totally a chemical reaction between sweat and the finish of the casing. Even my home row keys on my last (non-Unibody) MBP totally flaked away. Apple won't cover this either...its considered 'cosmetic damage.'

13. mac2x macrumors 65816

Dang, that sucks! At least it won't progress much beyond the finish because aluminum tends to form a passivation layer of oxides that protect the metal. I guess I've been pretty lucky in that my sweat doesn't damage anything.

14. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

"Not a Fan of OS X" ?

" Okay, update" ?

Yet. You were kind enough to give a C- review.

Why buy a Mac at all?

Complaining about discoloration? trackpad "limiting" your productivity?

Apple was late to the core i5-i7 adaptation, everyone including Apple knows this. Expect a refresh at WWDC or a Apple Event in October just like they did in 2008.

Appreciate what's here now, these notebooks took it up to the next level.

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

How?

16. neondrgns thread starter macrumors regular

neondrgns

"expect a refresh WWDC" or even October? thats a load of crap, Apple is done this year for updates, mark my words. Arrandale processors are still running low, and Apple will not update for at least another 8 months, expect a refresh in january

17. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Certainly WWDC is out of the question, but I wouldn't strike an end-of-year update off my calendar so fast. I'm not saying that it's guaranteed, but Apple could perhaps offer higher-clocked chips or alter the cost of an SSD if market conditions permit. I do think though that the next so-called "major" revision will take place in 2011.

18. macgirl89 macrumors member

I've had my MBP for nine months now, and the aluminum still looks great. It is easy for it to accumulate discoloration, but, honestly, you can just dab your sleeve with your tongue (kinda gross, I know) and rub the discolored area, it goes away! It looks perfect, brand new. Of course, a better option would be to use a damp cloth and rub the area, but that's really all you need to do. I heavily use my MBP (take it to college every day, etc.) and the aluminum still looks amazing.

What is the real problem is the keyboard! The keys become shiny from the oils of your fingers, and that doesn't look good in certain lighting. And, of course, the screen accrues fingerprints easily, so you have to clean that with a damp cloth (if you don't have an iKlear kit) so that stays looking new. But the keys really are annoying. And there is no way that I know of to reverse this "shiny key syndrome"...

19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What you had was dirt, not discoloration. The discoloration that people all-too-often speak of is a result of a chemical reaction between someone's sweat and the aluminum, and does not simply wipe-off with a bit of spit. You are spot-on about the keyboard though, and that's one reason why I suffer through the use of a keyboard protector.

20. macgirl89 macrumors member

Didn't ever hear about the discoloration claims. I'm glad mine is OK in that area...

Does using the keyboard protector inhibit typing in any way?

21. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

Oh shutup.
    lol. had enough of you people.

22. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Working on a Ph.D means way too much typing :). I have an aluminum MB and that "discoloration" is just the moisture from your palms. It goes away quite rapidly.

Do you sweat acid?

Ellis: "SPITTER GOO!"

23. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Do you have dragging/drag lock enabled in the preferences? I have no delay on tap to click on my i7, but remember when I enabled that function on my old late 2008 MBP and it caused a slight delay on tap to click. Turned dragging off and the delay disappeared.

24. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You people? It's an honest question, how are these "the next level?"

25. henhog macrumors newbie