15" i7 + ACD or 17" i5 + ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skate71290, Apr 30, 2010.

1. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, i'm in the UK, do Apple do the MacBook and free iPod Nano for Students Offer over here? i'm looking to get a MacBook Pro, either top end 15" or 17" (i'm selling my iMac and MBA) to be honest i'm major confused, for an extra £100 i wouldn't mind the extra real estate on my screen... but can someone tell me that Core i7 is not necessary for me on the 15" (which is the only reason i am still undecided) it just sounds so cool lol, i will be using the MBP for a 24" ACD (unless they release a bigger one) for Blu-Ray movies, Windows Gaming (MW2) and huge iTunes Libraries (300GB+) (not all at once, but i believe it probably would be possible), will the i5 Suffice on the 17"? could you all tell me what you guys/girls would do if you could choose between the 15" i7 + ACD or 17" i5 + ACD, thanks for your help :apple:

2. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Any i5 processor will handle your needs with no hiccups.
    As you will hook up your MBP to an ACD anyway, I'd go 15", it's the best option available size and spec wise.

If I were you I'd consider the 15" base model: no real difference in performance as far as processor is considered (compared to the better option).

However, if you plan to play to play MW2 at ACD's native res, 512 MB video RAM could help a lot.

3. skate71290 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol just thinking about MW2 on 24" ACD, would be amazing, think i will get the 512MB Graphics 15" i don't need the extra 2" screen estate for £100 lol, can get my Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard with that, many thanks, does anyone have a Benchmark test for the new MacBook Pros? :)

4. EasyJW macrumors member

go with the 15, especially when you have a 24" acd you can hook it up to, the power in either will easily perform the tasks you want so save the money and go 15 [​IMG]