15" i7 graphical problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Norwegian Pilot, May 24, 2010.

1. Norwegian Pilot macrumors newbie

I installed Windows 7 64bit via Bootcamp. When playing fast games I can see rows of pixels "lagging", which basically creates these horizontal lines on the screen. It is more subtile than it sounds, but I was wondering if this is a driver issue or a hardware issue?
    I have run Windows Update and also tried to update the nVidia driver (this couldn't recognize the hardware).

My specs:
    15" High Res 2,66MHz i7, 7200RPM, 4GB RAM

Games played so far:
    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Trackmania Nations
    Splinter Cell Convictions

I did NOT recognize it on Portal for Mac OSX.

When installing I was only able to choose between 64bit or 86bit W7. After installing the 64bit, I got a folder which is named "Program Files 84x". Might I have installed the wrong version?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

What you're describing sounds like screen tearing and is perfectly natural; (can be fixed by enabling Vsync, though in this case not really an option as the 330M wouldn't be able to keep up in two of the games you mentioned). If it is screen tearing, than you'll just have to live with it.

Also; what you mean is x86 which is actually 32-bit. No you did not install the wrong version. "Program Files" is 64-bit programs, "Program Files x86" is 32-bit programs.

3. Norwegian Pilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response, DesmoPilot.

When looking up pictures of screen tearing, it certainly looks like that is what I'm seeing. Although V-sync didn't reduce my performance significantly, the shearing did not disappear. Any other way of dealing with the problem?

Since most of the games installed choose the x86 folder, does that mean that they are 32bit programmes? How is it running 32bit on a 64bit system?

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Hmm; are you still running the standard nVidia drivers that come with the bootcamp drivers? If so you could try installing new ones.

Since you're using the 330M, nVidia's drivers off of their website don't support the 330M - here's a guide to make them work: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/11997-have-disk-method-for-windows-7-vista/

Here's the download link: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x64/197.85

Yes they're 32-bit programs; it can run them because it's not true 64-bit OS yet (like OS X).