15" i7 hi-res LF memory upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chanabra, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Chanabra macrumors member

Hey guys I have a MBP 15" i7 anti-glare high res computer and it's awesome! I use alot of logic / ableton as well as I am pretty into SC2 and getting very competetive and starting to livestream my play, I have been looking into upgrade to 8gb RAM.

On the Apple website it is $600. On crucial it is $150.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=5C1705FFA5CA7304

Why is it that crucial is that much cheaper? Is the memory less quality? Would I have issues installing such memory? I need some opinions/reviews!

Also, I am interested in SSD's, maybe one small SSD for my OS and SC2, possible a SSD Hybrid.. I was under the impression the i7 was unupgradeable, I upgrade my HD in my old C2D but is it possible to do the same in the i7? Without voiding the warranty? Is there anyway I can upgrade it and switch to my old HD if i had to go into the apple store, without getting caught?

Sorry for the noob questions, thanks for your time!
    Happy holidays

2. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

It's apple trying to rip you off. Man are you that behind the times?

3. Chanabra thread starter macrumors member

No definitely not. Thanks for the troll though. i specifically asked if there was a difference in quality and if I would have any problems choosing crucial over Apple.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple loves the profit. Also, by the time MBPs were released, 8GB was more expensive and as we know, Apple doesn't usually change the prices, thus it's still the same. Apple uses various brands including Crucial so in terms of quality they are similar.

Yes, you can upgrade the HD in your MBP. If you want to have both, SSD and HD, then think about removing the optical drive and put the HD in its place. It's recommended to keep the original parts and put them back if you have to send it for Apple

5. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Buy it from somebody other then Apple, then you have 8gb for your MBP, and 4gb to sell on eBay to recoup some costs of the upgrade.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nope, it's true. Apple wants to rip you off. Since Crucial is cheaper, just go with them. I got their upgrade for my old 2007 MacBook, and the RAM is of the highest quality. No hiccups at all. Hope I helped!

7. Chanabra thread starter macrumors member

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Other World Computing (macsales.com) is a great bet for RAM on a Mac, and if you want to play it really safe, you can get the exact same RAM Apple uses, for less than $180 for the 8GB upgrade. That is what I did for my MBP.

I was once bitten using 3rd party, good quality, RAM on a MBP that was meant for PCs but not specifically tested on Macs, so I tend to be more picky nowadays. All OWC RAM is tested for use on Macs.

Adding 3rd party RAM does not affect your warranty, unless you cause damage in the process of installing it (and there's no reason you should if you take standard precautions and care).