15" i7 MBP Came a day early!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onehotchili, Apr 28, 2010.

1. onehotchili macrumors newbie

10 days ago i spontaneously picked up a 15" i7 HiRes Matte 4gb RAM w/ 500Gb 5200 HD... and i returned it.

i then ordered the same thing with 8gb RAM and the 7200 500Gb HD. yeah, i could have "upgraded" it myself... but i had my work pay for this beast, and i wanted to make sure i there were any issues, everything would be 'ok' with Applecare.

fast forward to today, and it arrived a day early. yehaw.... so i got to spend some time creating my Win7 Bootcamp partition, VMWare Fusion, and setting up a bunch of Windows utilities programs and Office 2007. so far this thing works like a champ! i partitioned my HD 50% Mac and 50% Win7 (so i had to format NTFS). i also delegated 4Gb RAM to my VMWare Win7. things seem pretty darn quick!

tonight was the mindless stuff to install.... tomorrow at work, i'll do Visual Studio 2010, MS SQL Server and all my development tools.... and then tomorrow night, fun stuff like Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop Elements etc... all on the Mac side.

feels like the machine is a split personality.... definitely psyched to move away from my tried and true IBM Thinkpad!

anyhoo, i did want to mention.... the matte screen is awesome. i spend 10+ hours/day in front of screen.... and i can already tell my eyes will be thanking me! :)

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

-.-'

People of the interwebz, for the LAST TIME; Replacing your ram or hard drive does NOT void your warranty.

Anyway, glad to see it didn't disappoint. I feel as excited every morning I open up my last-gen 13" MacBook Pro :D

3. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Post some pics! I ordered the same thing but w/ 4gb of RAM. The wait is killing me.

Anyways, I love looking at pictures of the matte screen MBP's it holds me over : )

Also, report back with any heat/sound/vibration/battery issues that you may be getting on the 7200 as opposed to the 5400 (not sure how much time you got to spend with that one before the return)

4. onehotchili thread starter macrumors newbie

yup i know.... this was a business decision since i would delegate any hardware problems to deal with to one of my employees. it is much easier to hand a broken laptop to someone and knowing that IT WILL be taken care of. that peace of mind is worth the couple hundred dollar difference to me. actually i am thinking i'll probably pick another 15" or maybe 13" MBP as a backup in another month or so....

5. onehotchili thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't even open the 5400 15" MBP. it just sat in my home office for the weekend, while i limped by on a Thinkpad with a screwed up video card.

i also have a BlackBook w/ a 64Gb SSD.... and that one does seem to run much quieter and cooler. but that one is a dedicated music server, so it is doing it's thing!

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto