15" i7 MBP what 128GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbp-jack, Jun 1, 2010.

1. mbp-jack macrumors newbie

Hello
    I am going to buy a new 15" i7 MBP which i will be using as my main computer hopefully with and external monitor to do a lot of Photoshop CS5 work and HD movie editing.

I really want a SSD just to make the computer run faster and have a faster boot up time but don't want to have the SSD that apple offers because i have heard bad things about it.

the 2 that i have picked out are the A-DATA AS596B-128GM and the Crucial CT128M225 they are both around $300 but the A-data sames to be a bit faster on some test that i have seen.

I will be using an external HD as well to store photos and movies on.

Thanks Jack

2. mbp-jack thread starter macrumors newbie

3. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Out of those two I would choose Crucial. Corsair might be within your budget as well. The Intel 160GB is what I would suggest, but is a bit out of your budget. Have you looked at the Seagate Momentus XT?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The Corsair Nova V128 should be right around that price point. I have that drive and it performs very well, although the random reads/writes aren't as high as say the Intel's, but it gets the job done.

I'm returning mine though, just want to save the money until later on when there are higher capacity drives for a more decent price point. Intel's G3 drives look promising when they are finally released.

5. mbp-jack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply

Yeah i would love to get the intel g2 128gb but it is out of my price range.

How long do you think it will be before we start to see the price drop in SSD?

6. greeneggs28 macrumors newbie

greeneggs28

What's wrong with the SSD's that Apple offers?

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Nothing is technically wrong with them. It's just you can find better performing ones, and at a similar/better price than what Apple will offer.