15" IB Refurb and return 13" Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monkeysinspace, Nov 8, 2013.

1. monkeysinspace macrumors newbie

I just my 2.8/8/256 13" Haswell last week and it's been great. I paid $1749 with education savings plus tax of course. I am contemplating returning it for a refurb 15" from last year for $1599: http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_10836...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Now, we all know what the differences in stats are. With the refurb, I get a worse battery, slower SSD (perhaps negligible) and increased weight (~1 lbs more than the 13"). I do, however, get the quad-core i7, the 15" and the 650m. I'll be doing some development with the Oculus Rift over the next couple of months, so the 15" might come in handy.

The question is, is it worth it if I were to think about reselling the refurb next year to get the newest one out? How much would I be able to sell it for a year from now? To Apple or just via Craigslist for example? With the refurb, I'd be saving a little over $150 right now. If I could break even next year or be around that ball park to get a new one, I'd be OK with it.

Any suggestions?

2. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Don't think about reselling value, it's a vicious 'waiting for the next model' circle.

Just get what you need now.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you unhappy with the 13" laptop? If you want something bigger then yes get the 15" refurb. It sounds like from your post you like your current laptop.

As the other poster mentioned, don't worry about resale, just get what works best for you now.

I'm not familiar with the software so I can't comment on what would work better in that instance.