15" iMac G4 800mhz

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by n3092, Oct 26, 2009.

1. n3092 macrumors newbie

Ok so i found this iMac g4 on craigslist for only $50 great condition but no keyboard or mouse no big deal really but it comes with the pro speakers. The thing is i really want it but when i think about it, i really don't know what i could use it for besides maybe a torrent box. Im not all about collecting.........well maybe a little, but i really want to at least use it so it has a purpose. so if anyone can give me any ideas on what i could maybe turn this into any input would be grateful thanks.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Hook up a large external HD to it and use it as a very stylish iTunes server.

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

Perfect idea!

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

$50 for a iMac g4 take it , you wont find a better deal and its stylish too
    even if 800mhz may sound slow to you it is still a very capable computer if you upgrade the ram to 1gb (not that expencive ) it will do the same stuff that your main computer is able to do (if its a mac too of course ) just some tasks may be a bit slower , but who cares ;)

5. n3092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well I decided to get it I pick it up on Friday but then I gotta figure out how to set it up as an iTunes server I never tried that but I'm sure it can't be that hard. Right now I have all my music on an external hard drive connect to my time capsule it's workin ok but not what I expected. hopefully this will work better.

6. n3092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my G4 imac today, got lucky and it was the 17" instead, almost perfect condition the only thing that you might be able to say is wrong with it is the neck is "kinda" loose not enough to fuss about but overall im very happy for 50 bucks.

PICS

sorry pics were taken with my phone

Attached Files:

7. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

to set it up as an itunes server, all you need to do is get all your music onto itunes on that computer normally, hook it up to your network, and set it to share all your content with other computers.

its pretty simple.

8. n3092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I already got it up and running as my iTunes server and torrent box god was moving all that music a nightmare. 40g's of music and USB 1.1 was unbearable I upgraded the ram to 512 for now I got more on the way. But what I'm wondering is what else can I do with it? I really wanna get maximum usage out of this beautiful mac. Any ideas?

9. MacTech68, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Run a Squid Proxy on it ?

Here in AU, most service providers charge per GB, so a Squid Proxy on my G3 700Mhz iMac saves me about 25% usage every month. It has a 40GB cache and barely hits an average 3-4% CPU usage for about 3 users.

If your not into building your own from source, SquidMan is an easy way to get one running.
    ________
    BMW Concept X1 history

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you can do the same things you do with your other mac`s
    and for usb 1.1 slower then usb 2.0 ..... use firewire 400 instead ,its faster then usb 2.0 :D

11. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

That was my first Mac. I'd love to get another one some day.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You should have transferred via ethernet / firewire.

13. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I agree - the "target disk" feature that lets you connect to a Mac like an external FW drive is indispensable. It's how I was able to install Leopard onto my G4 cube even though it has no DVD drive! :D

14. suburbia macrumors 6502

Congratulations on acquiring one of the last great designs from Apple from their Golden Age for the price of lunch!

Unlike the G3 iMac, the G4 iMac still looks good to this day. I remember seeing the ads for this in a Vanity Fair mag; it was a 4-page pull-out spread on high-quality stock paper. And now, you can pick up iPods at Walmart...

15. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

I still have one of these, but i have no use for it... It's just sitting somewhere in the back of my closet.
    I don't see the use of having it setup as an iTunes server if I've got a laptop. What do I do if I wanna listen to music on the go?