15 in MBP or RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacNoob651, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MacNoob651 macrumors newbie

I'm set on a 15" MacBook but don't know which one to go with. I use office a lot, aperture, general browsing, itunes and various other programs. Which laptop gives me the most bang for my buck? I would probably get the standard laptop from either category.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The base 15" Retina MBP will give you much better day-to-day performance than either of the standard 15" non-retina models because of the SSD/Flash Storage.

Aperture should also be great on the retina display. You basically have a full 5 megapixel display for viewing photos. The base non-retina model has a roughly 1.2 megapixel display.

Besides the pixel count, the retina display is also an IPS display with better contrast, black level, and viewing angles.

Apple has also already updated Aperture to take full advantage of the retina display.

If you can afford it I would say go for it.

3. MacNoob651 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the dumb question, not great with computer language. What exactly do you mean when you say "have a full 5 megapixel display for viewing photos"?

4. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

If its bang for your buck you're looking for the regular MacBook Pro with a third party SSD is probably the way to go. But wow the Retina Mac looks incredible. I ordered one.

5. MacNoob651 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I meant between those two, I can easily afford either.

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

If you can afford it there's no question. Retina obviously.

7. Stetrain, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

Meaning that if you do photo work in Aperture, the Retina Macbook Pro has a high resolution display that will show you more pixels.

At 2880x1800 pixels, a full screen photo will be displayed with over 5 million pixels (megapixels).

The non-retina Macbook Pro has a 1440x900 display, with only about 1.2 million pixels.

If you had a 5 megapixel digital camera (most are higher than that now), you could display the full image at native resolution, pixel for pixel, on the new retina Macbook Pro.

8. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

They meant 5 megapixels equals the resolution you have on the retina mac pro.
    Megapixels basically just defines how big resolution is and how many pixels.

http://web.forret.com/tools/megapixel.asp?width=2880&height=1800

Sidenote: To many peoples' disbelief concerning cameras, higher megapixels does not mean quality. Apple has proved this before in the iPhone.

9. SteveCarriere macrumors member

But what about storage? The retina is 250 in the "cheap" one and 750 in jthe similarly priced MacBook pro normal. Not sure I need retina on na computer that is basically a place to store and backup my iPad and iPhone.

I'm inclined to go Non-retina and spend for a Retina iPad as I use that more.

10. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

No reason for retina for retail use

11. ayres macrumors regular

i'm of the mindset that it is best to wait a couple of iterations before purchasing a model. i think the retina mbp is amazing, but i'm sure there are a few things they will do differently with the design and build in the next year or two - i'm not talking about redesigns but in terms of how it is held together, etc.

i think that the non-retina 15 mbp has matured over the last few years and has few kinks in its construction. yes it's more weight and its design is clearly on the way out now that the retina mbp has been unveiled. but it is still so solid. i say, go for the hi-res screen and update components later. this seems the best option to me.

12. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Go Retina, then. It's a fantastic machine.

Odds are it will probably be perfectly reliable (in terms of major hardware issues) but if a person is planning to buy the Retina MBP without Apple Care I'd probably suggest they hold off a little while just due to all the new engineering involved. Personally, I'd buy the AppleCare no matter what on a machine like this, and with AppleCare there's no reason not to buy it right now if interested.