15" inch buying question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phishindsn, Feb 12, 2012.

1. phishindsn macrumors regular

Getting a new MacBook Pro for work and was trying to decide which is best for the upgrade? 7.2k Sata or the SSD for $50 more. I think I would be ok with 128GB of space as I have the low end 13" macbook pro.

Are there any pro/cons out there?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I purchased an aftermarket SSD for my early 2011 MBP and the difference in performance was very noticeable. Definitely look closer at that option.

4. phishindsn thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I thought about buying a drive for my 13" but I just need more screen real estate. I am going to just sell the 13" as my work is buying my 15".

Should I order it with the SATA drive and just rip it out and replace it with solid state? Or is the $200 a fair price.

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

If it is a work laptop and they are paying for it partly, it would be sensible ordering the MBP with SSD, to avoid warranty problems as the hard drive is not user replaceable according to Apple.

If this will be your laptop used for work, then I'd suggest buying the MBP with basic hard drive and memory option, upgrade them both in one go with parts source yourself and save some money this way. Plus you can used the stock hard drive as an external storage device with a cheap 2.5" case.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

HDD is user replaceable. It even tells you how to do it in manuals made by Apple.

7. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I only remember the RAM been user upgradable in my old 2010 MBP manual, guess I was wrong. Still its cheaper to buy SSD from 3rd party and use the stock HD as external storage.

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

If your going the route of adding additional storage via optibay, would it make more sense to get the apple included SSD and then adding the HD yourself in the ODD bay?

9. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

I have the SSD in my macbook air and that thing hauls...I can only compared it to RAID 0 10k rpm raptors, and it seems faster..then again windows isnt as crisp either.

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

11. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Now, replacing the optibay with a HDD/SSD voids the warranty.

13. bdinger macrumors member

bdinger

I have a current 15in MBP, the higher end model that came out the door with a 7200rpm disk (see sig). I replaced it with a Crucial C300 SSD and the difference was very, very, very noticeable. Had I not already had the C300 (got it about 9 months ago for a HP EliteBook that the MBP replaced), I would have just built to order with the stock SSD - you won't really ever notice a difference.

Plus the nice thing about the Apple SSD is that if you get Applecare, you don't have to mess with the whole multiple warranty thing. Which is a bit of a moot point to an extent, but it's a nice thing to have.

For what it's worth I drank the SSD kool-aid about 2 years ago when I put a Intel X-25M Gen 2 in my white MacBook, and I'll never go back. The difference is phenomenal when compared to even the fastest platter drive.

So yeah, Apple's SSD is totally worth the $50. From what I've heard they generally are the new Samsung 830 series SSD's, which IMO are brilliant.