15 inch MacBook Pro 2.53 Crashed HD 4th time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikePaster, Feb 3, 2009.

1. MikePaster macrumors newbie

I am quite frustrated. I am returning my 4th 15 inch MacBook Pro 2.53 with a crashed hard drive since October 2008. Each one lasted about 6 weeks. The first time the computer freezes and I have to shut down by holding power button seems to be the end of the computer. They do not start up again and each time I return to the apple store and they tell me its the hard drive. Tomorrow I am returning the 4th one. Anybody have any information?

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Do you find your clothes stick together a lot?

Does your hair stand on end often?

I started posting as a joke but it could be serious. It sounds like you have a static discharge problem. 4 dead drives in 3 months is crazy odds, I think, since I'm sure thousands of people have their new Macbooks and have not had 1.

I would check your power outlets; maybe get them on a conditioner where you charge your MBP. Maybe try a static wristband that is grounded? I dunno... seems you're killing them more than what would happen by chance.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Tell them to give you a new machine, but after four hard disks its obviously something else, more than likely a logic board issue.

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Oh it sounded like they have given him 4 new machines, maybe I was wrong.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Is there any strong magnetic sources close to your computer? Does each drive fail all at once, or does it die with clicking noises? If it's dying without much warning, then it might be something external like a strong magnetic source that is corrupting the boot data.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No your right. Hrm...i dunno then.

7. MikePaster thread starter macrumors newbie

The only magnetic sources near the computer are some small speakers. My wife has a 13 inch white MacBook that we keep in the same area and there are no problems with that.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's possible you're getting all the machines from the same faulty batch.

I've been through 10 (ten) machines once with my 2.2SR, though it wasn't for faulty HD's. Eventually the store manager stepped on the case and pulled a system from stock, saying this one should be perfect (without testing it)!

Anyway, I tested it instore cause I wasn't about to risk it again...
    Just as well, cause the new machine has other issues, didn't boot for a start! :eek: Was fairly embarrassing for the store manager.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, id say that the 4 bad ones is probably something to do with you. Im sure if some one did the stats that its highly unlikely that you got 4 bad macs in a row

10. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Unreal

You're Magneto. Wolverine must be somewhere on this globe.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would think (5) is the magic number. Keep us advised as to the outcome...:(

12. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Heh, I got my MBP early 08 the week it came out.

I had to take mine back to the Apple store 4 times to finally get the 'perfect' one. Primary issue was the yellowing on the bottom of the LCD, other issues I remember was the speakers giving off static noise even when not in use and also the DVD drive not working correctly.

My 5th one wasn't perfect but pretty darn close. Only minor issue on the current one is one of the coils making high pitch noise when the system is running heavy 3D app/games. But since mainly use the MBP for light use, it isn't much of an issue.

13. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

....LMAO

14. sk213 macrumors newbie

to the OP did you ever get this resolved?

Im currently on my 3rd dead drive, the cause sounds exactly like what you have described.

although the last 2 drives only lasted a 1 week or so...