15 inch MacBook pro. Future proof?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tbdbuckeyeitl, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Tbdbuckeyeitl macrumors regular

I have a 2011 MacBook pro 15 inch 2.2 ghz quad core i7. I know this is last Years model but how long before apple stops updating and supporting these MacBook computers. Did all of apple computers get Mtn lion update? Thanks

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You have awhile before their os' aren't supported by 2011 machines. Currently I think MtnLion supports machines dating back to 09.

3. borisiii macrumors 6502

The newest computers to lose support for Mountain Lion were released at the beginning of 2009, and they were both low end models (Mac Mini, and the now-discontinued white MacBook). The oldest computers still supported were released just over five years ago.

Architecturally, 2011 Macs are very similar to their 2012 counterparts, so it is likely that whatever hardware limitation ultimately prevents 2011 Macs from receiving the latest operating system will apply to 2012 Macs as well.

The hardware requirement that prevents older Macs from running Mountain Lion is low-performance graphics cards. As an owner of a 15" MacBook Pro, this will not be an issue for you for the foreseeable future, as your machine has discrete graphics.

No one outside Cupertino knows when your MacBook will no longer be able to run the latest operating system, although you can reasonably expect another 3-4 years or so of receiving updates. Assuming you bought the 15" pro because you actually require its power, the capability of newer hardware, and the system requirements of contemporary professional software, will have convinced you to upgrade long before your current laptop becomes obsolete.

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

my 2008 Mac Pro runs ML perfectly.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

You should be safe, so long as apple doesn't switch architectures to ARM or heaven forbid back to PPC any time soon :p

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's a pretty solid machine. The only reason I won't suggest them to people buying today is unknown history + unknown future support cycle from Apple, but if I owned that model today, I would see no reason to get rid of it. The OP just seems a bit nervous given Apple's somewhat increasingly aggressive de-support path on some hardware. The weak graphics chipsets were dropped. This was before intel actually put significant effort into integrated gpus. Anything with 32 bit efi was dropped. Next I think they'll require an OpenCL capable gpu, and the 2011 has that. The 2011 was a really solid machine. I think it could see 4 years of supported OS revisions given its supported versions of OpenGL/OpenCL when using discrete graphics and the quad cpu + certified to 8GB of ram.

Those rumors finally died down. Let them stay that way:p.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I do feel like apples support has been very well selected based on performance. The discontinued lines are no longer able to really support the updated bulk of the new OS's.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples voracious appetite for drama, conflict & revenge on any percieved competitor, shows no sign of abating. I had hoped that Tim Cook would put a calming hand on things and return Apple to the once dignified, professional company they were.

However, based on yesterday's report that Apple continues to seek a ban on Samsung sales, it's apparent that no sum of money will make them happy.

Now with us confined to the Mac App Store for all future OS updates, bug fixes & the like, they're free to shorten up timelines, forcing users to buy new hardware even sooner than in the past.

It would be great to see them focus on the positive, but for now they're like sharks with blood in the water.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Unibody Macbook Pro from 2008 will take 10.8, and that's four years old. Not bad.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They did cut quite a few, but outside of 64 bit EFI it was just a gpu thing in terms of OpenGL version. This is why I tell people they're silly for selling one older model and buying another if they want to keep running the latest OS. They figure it's a one time thing, where hardware is likely to be de-supported once it becomes inconvenient or loses support at the component vendor level. It is faster these days. As I recall some of the G4s made it as far as Leopard, although they didn't run it well. Some people were irritated at that time because the dual processor model didn't make it where a cheaper single cpu model made the cut. We're actually at a point where supporting the OS isn't that stressful on most hardware in terms of raw power. It has mostly been an issue of hardware features. The mac pro 2,1 was likely more powerful than some of the machines which remain supported.

I'm not sure physical disks would have prevented them from doing what they want with timelines. They can still make it problematic to install. Where did you read that report? I've mentioned it before with Apple vs. Samsung, they'll list complaints on basically everything and see what sticks.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You'll be fine for years to come. MacBook Pro's from 2007 can still run 10.8. For a complete list of Mountain Lion support, check out this link.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And Macs from 2003 can still open most webpages perfectly fine, which is probably all the OP needs to do anyways.