15-inch macbook pro os x dvd not compatible with 15-inch macbook pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xxcharliexxx, Feb 16, 2009.

1. xxcharliexxx macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am freshly baked Mac user :p

I just bought a macbook pro 2.4 of my friend -Machine ID MacBookPro4,1
    Model Number A1260. I wanted to have a clean opearting system so I bought OS X on eBay (two grey dvd's) ... and I am unable to install it...

At the moment OS X is 10.5.5 (leopard?). I read that you need os compatible with the machine so I bought the same dvd dedicated to 15-inch macbook pro, mac os x 10.5.5. DVD number is ep10182008 2z607-3234-a mutilingual macbook pro media

I thought it shoud work as it match the actual operating system (10.5.5) but after language selection screen I have error: mac os x cannot be installed on this computer

How to check wich dvd OS X will be compatible with my macbook pro?

I can't get the one that comes with the computer as the person I bought that macbook from is abroad atm.

Thank you for your help

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The gray restore discs are specific to the hardware revision, not the OS version. You have a MBP 4,1 - so you'd need OS X Install discs for a MBP 4,1

3. xxcharliexxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but how I can check which os disc will suit my macbook ? Do I need a specyfic code for my model ?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There really is no way, that I know of.

You just have to find an ebay listing that specifies your model.

5. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

1. Get the Mac's discs from your friend, Macs should never be sold without their original install disks.
    2. Contact Apple for a copy of the install discs that belong to your Mac.

6. xxcharliexxx thread starter macrumors newbie

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I've never had experience with "retail" editions of OS X (I just use the restore discs).

Your best bet is to simply phone Apple (they're very helpful) and ask to have the 15-inch MBP (+ model number) discs shipped out to you. Not sure if they'll charge you or not, but this is the fastest, and sure-fire way to bring the computer back to factory settings. :)

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That will work, but see below.

Do this, they charge about USD $35 to cover the physical discs and shipping.