15 inch MBP Base Model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Nov 16, 2016.

1. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Anyone received the 15 inch base unit? How are you finding it?

Thanks.

2. monkeydax macrumors 6502

I'd like to find out too, out in this forum, having a stock base unit is a rarity!

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I know right? Everyone has maxed out. The base unit is more than enough for my needs!

4. azntaiji macrumors member

I have the second base (512gb w/ Radeon Pro 455). Upgraded from 2012 13" MBP (non-retina).

This thing is awesome so far! I have yet to do anything really graphics intensive though besides a quick Unengine Heaven benchmark (attached).

What would you like to know?

Attached Files:

5. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

For all intensive purposes for me, our models are pretty much the same.

Just wanted to know people's initial thoughts - speed, noise, battery life, heat etc.

6. azntaiji macrumors member

• Speed: Compared to my 2012 MBP, it's super fast. So far, it seems to easily keep up with my customac on common tasks (see my signature). I have yet to test it with things like games, but I don't expect it to excel at that. Just from watching the Unengine benchmark, it doesn't really compare much to a desktop GPU - even my old GTX 760. I'm sure it will be fine for other intensive tasks though, like photo and video editing.
    • Noise: Very quiet, usually silent
    • Battery: Haven't used it long enough to know this yet.
    • Heat: It was pretty warm at first, but that was probably due to setting up all my apps and syncing cloud data, etc. During that time, the Touch Bar area was very warm to the touch, and the exhaust area behind the MacBook got uncomfortably warm while in my lap. It has since cooled down a ton, and isn't warm at all now.

7. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Very helpful!