15 inch MBP for Photo editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dpark19807, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dpark19807 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting a 15-inch Macbook Pro but which one??

Basically either the 2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, 2.7GHz (can configure when purchasing online for +$315) OR a refurbished computer: http://store.apple.com/sg/product/FD318ZP/A

If the most demanding applications are going to be Photoshop CS6, Lightroom, and Photomatix, which computer would be good enough???

Please do help out and no negative comments like: "no **** the more expensive computer is going to be better"

Thanks!

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Honestly any of them would be suitable for what you need. I would recommend getting the 1680x1050 screen instead of the 1440 screen as listed in the refurb you linked to.

You could easily get by with the entry level processor. It really just depends on how much you want to spend. If you are using it for work, time=money and the 2.6 or even 2.7 (although these are very close in speed) may be worth the difference.

I would recommend an SSD if you can afford it.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Aside from processing out images, the difference isn't likely to be terribly noticeable, and it's definitely not crucial. The early 2011 2.0 is the only one I'd probably skip. If you're using this for work, the displays on these aren't terribly amazing in terms of their ability to match to printed media. If you aren't using it for work, it's close enough. Any of the quads has enough cpu power. If you're using it for work, first priority should be ram. After that assuming you can budget one in a comfortable size, grab an SSD. 8GB is the minimum I'd consider on ram. Photoshop will basically grab everything you assign it, and the other applications and OS still need to be fed. I just hate smaller ssds, so I tend to mention this stuff.

4. dpark19807 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am getting a Samsung 830 512GB SSD along with OWC 16GB RAM....
    So what should I get...

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Config one that fits your budget. And I must also agree on the poster above about getting the 1680x1050 over the 1440.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Since you are already getting additional memory and an SSD, drop the extra cash on the better screen. For photo editing (which I do on a 17" mid-2010 MBP), I personally don't feel that the processor difference will give as much return as the RAM and SSD.

Not sure the cost difference between the 2.3 and 2.6 off hand, but I would not go the 2.7. I doubt you will need the additional L3 cache (8MB vs. 6MB) available on the 2.7 chip for your needs.

Good luck with your decision.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'm always amused by these posts, which processor, what's the maximum RAM on this machine? I have the original unibody 2.4 with 8GB of memory and it does fine with Canon 5D2 files. The only issue I see is if you start editing video files from a Big Red or other pro camera. Just buy as much processor, SSD and memory as you can afford and just use it.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Oh the one you linked was fine. It was a late 2011. For photo editing I'm only hesitant on the ones that are limited to 256MB of vram, which is why I mentioned the early 2011 2.0. It's the only one that can't make the CS6 recommendation. OWC charges kind of a lot for ram. It's just rebranded.