15 inch MBP too big for college?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ipaqman, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

so i am going to purchase a laptop for college (first year) and wanted to know if the 15 inch mbp was too big to lug around to class.

please let me know?

thanks,
    ipaqman

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It isn't. I've had one all of college and carry it around in a Timbuk2 bag with my other books. I would make sure to get a slim case with handles that you carry by itself or fit it into a bag of your choice with your other books and binders.

jon

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've been using a MacBook Pro for high school since October and I thought it was the perfect size for a laptop. I had a 14" iBook before that, and it just was too small for me.

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'll be carrying around a 15" MBP this fall in a Timbuktu bag. It's really not so bad.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

it's not too big. i carry it in my backpack everyday.

it'd great if it was 2-3 lbs less though.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Not AS portable as the Macbook or iBook but it's fine :). Just get a slim fitting case and you'll be fine.

7. CV4 macrumors member

Same situation as you, and I have been told by a bunch of people that it isn't too big.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's not too big, but the 13'' Macbook will be easier. If you're not a film/arts major and don't need the extra power of the Macbook Pro, then get the Macbook and save your money.

9. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

I have a 15"; it's not too big to lug around campus. And the added power and screen size? Yes please.

10. newmacguy88 macrumors member

I was in the exact same boat. I was torn between the macbook and the macbook pro. It really doesn't weight too much (especially if you have a bag) and the screen size increase in my opinion is worth the difference. For writting papers in college, you don't want to be squinting at a small screen :)

11. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

imho the MB is only slightly more portable than the 15" MBP since they are both ~5lbs.