15 inch MBP wireless issues - different from the norm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paradicio, Mar 10, 2009.

1. paradicio macrumors newbie

So I just got a new 15 inch MBP a couple of weeks ago (2.5ghz 4gb of RAM, etc…), and am having some rather annoying issues with the wireless capabilities.

I’ve read other threads where folks are having their signal drop while they are using it, but those are not the symptoms I’m having and I’ve not seen any other threads specific to what I’ve been experiencing.

Basically what happens is when I boot up, the MBP will tell me none of my trusted wireless networks are available, but clearly displayed in the list of networks is MY network…showing full signal strength. If I select the network and click Join it asks for my password, once I type that in it will try to connect and give me a Network Timeout error.

If I reboot a couple of times it will eventually connect to the network (on its own, without prompting me for my password – it shouldn’t, I’ve told it to remember the network) and once it’s connected it stays connected – no disconnects.

I’ve tried zapping the PRAM (no luck), and last night I deleted all the other trusted networks from memory (maybe that will work?).

I’m using Verizon FiOS and whatever router it is that comes with the service, I know its 802.11g. In the same room I use my laptop we have 2 iPhones, 1 Time Capsule, my wife’s G4 PowerBook, a PS3, 2 PSP’s, and a Wii. None of the other devices are having problems finding the network. The Time Capsule and my wife’s computer are actually situated further away from the router than I am…

At this point I’m kind of at a loss for what to do. Should I take it back to the store and hit the salesman over the head with it? Should I find Steve Jobs and force him to use my laptop until it drives him crazy enough to push his team to release a bug fix (if it’s in fact a bug)?

Any advice from the experts? :)

2. Cantunis macrumors member

Hello ,

I bought a MBP on Feb 3th , and I must admit , wireless on MBP's is flaky . As long as you use 2.4ghz band the MBP can't keep a signal when even a PSP with its crappy 802.11b can connect .

Solution is either buy a shiny and expensive airport extreme base station which now have dual simultaneous band or run a cable to your room ( which I did , as I didnt want to toss out a 200€ D-Link router with 3 20$ 9dbi antennas ) .

At my uni , where there is 802.11N at 5ghz i get 170mbps throughput and no dropouts during the 6 hours I stay there a day .

So , in a nutshell , MBP's wireless is poor , so you have to get the interferences to a minimum .

. Best Regards .
    Alex

3. paradicio thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, my router isn't 802.11n, just 802.11g and "says" it's fully compatible with all of the previous bands (802.11b, etc...)... I really don't want to have to run a wire into my room. :(

4. Cantunis macrumors member

Yes , but 802.11g and 802.11b run on 2.4ghz crowded band . Here is where you can throw in your microwave , TV Video Sender , Cordless phones , neighbours wifi ...

MBP's have poor signal so your best way to avoid drops is buy a nice 802.11n 5ghz router OR buy a 802.11a which is same as 802.11g in speed but in the 5ghz band . And you can buy them for cheap !

Ah , and wires aren't bad . You get better ping , 0 dropouts and if you run it properly through the roof and paint the cable it doesnt look aesthetic , trust me , but you will spend some nice time doing so.

5. paradicio thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha! Well, thanks for the help I appreciate it. I guess I gotta check to see if my FiOS router is capable of acting solely as a modem...

6. Cantunis macrumors member

One thing i may add .. if you have an apple store near you ( not like me in Spain , where there are 0 ) go there and try their 5ghz network . This way you are sure its not a defective card ( which can be possible , seeing all the problems there are with MBP's now .. )

Ah , and here you are , a cheap and branded 5ghz access point , and just 20 $ S&H Included ! and its NEW

http://cgi.ebay.es/Intel-PRO-Wirele...mQQptZCOMP_EN_Routers?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Don't forget to delete the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and preferences.plist out! The two most hated files when it comes to networking!

8. paradicio thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that? :)

9. Cantunis macrumors member

Go to HD > Library > Preferences and there you have com.blahblahblah.airport.plist . Then go

HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfigurations and there is the preferences.plist

But .. one more thing . I have tested this and it kept saying " Connexion timed out " .

Also I did set up beacon interval low on the router and Nothing . My Dell Vostro connects fine . Also does my Xbox 360 .

Regards,

 Alex 

10. paradicio thread starter macrumors newbie

I think removing the other networks worked. It worked fine last night, I booted it up and shut it down a few times and it found the network every time.