Price Advice 15 inch, Mid-2009 MacBook Pro (model a1286)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eimeria, Dec 1, 2014.

1. eimeria macrumors member

I'm going to sell one of my spare MBPs and would love to get some pricing advice. It's a 15inch Mid-2009 MBP (Model A1286) in excellent condition.

It was a custom order build and has a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It has been upgraded to 8 GB of RAM. I have also upgraded the hard drives. I have removed the Optical drive and added an expansion hard drive for added storage and speed. In it's current configuration it contains a 120 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G solid state drive (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/ ) and a 750 GB hard drive.

Additional Specs:
    Display Size: - 15.4-inch
    Graphics Card: - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT
    Max. Resolution: - 1440 x 900
    AirPort: - Built-in Airport Extreme (802.11 a/b/g/n).
    Ethernet: - 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45)
    Bluetooth: - Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.
    USB: - 2 ports (USB 2.0)
    FireWire: - 1 port (FW800).
    Display port: - Mini DisplayPort.
    Card Slot: - SD Card Slot.
    Battery: Good Condition

I could reinstall the superdrive if the potential for additional storage or the creation of a large fusion drive does not add value.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. You can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Please stop pasting your spam. It is tiresome and not helpful.

Would you please enlighten us on when you think a 2009 15" MBP might show up in the refurb section? :rolleyes:

OP - that strikes me as a $400-450 machine, even with the upgrades. The big problem is the perception that it is horribly dated, however capable it is (which is, still reasonably so). I do not think you would see much difference between the upgraded and closer to stock configuration (8 GB, 750 GB HD, Superdrive).

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not spam. Nothing is being sold or offered for sale. As recommended, checking several sources to get an idea of pricing is entirely appropriate. Not all sources may apply to every model. Common sense would suggest that for an older model, disregarding the refurb store would apply.

5. eimeria thread starter macrumors member

FWIW, I had checked Ebay (not surprisingly found completed sale prices all over the map - $250 to $640). Mac2Sell was a new site to me, so somewhat useful.

It's always amazing to see Craigslist prices in comparison. Many lesser spec'ed computers have asking prices near $800. I get that there will always be some people who will pay such an incredibly high price without negotiating, but that price has little connection to reality in my opinion.