15 inch or 17 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcfields, May 4, 2009.

1. mcfields macrumors newbie

Trying to decide between the higher end 15 inch or the 17 inch Macbook Pro. Money doesn't matter to me (though I'm not upgrading them). I'd like to play just team fortress 2 (preferably at native ?), but other than that I don't care about game performance (i guess i'd be willing to sacrifice it). Is the 17 inch slow since it's so big (like are there any problems with websites)? Is it too clunky?

2. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

the 17 is just as good as the 15, im pretty sure its even better.... if money is no issue.... then 17 hands down, oh and if money isnt an issue, wanna help a brother out? :rolleyes:

i dont think the screen res would really effect anything, and the 17 has a better battery life anyhow, so why not

3. omegasyn macrumors regular

How the hell would be 17 incher be slow due to it's size?

Anyway, do what new money do and get a 17 mbp matte. You won't regret it and the weight is similar to the 15.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

if your like me and carry it around alot and use it every day in classes, then 17 is a little much. I also dont trust that non removable battery just yet.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Lawls

It's no clunkier than any other giant notebook. Why don't you try them out at an Apple Store, or bestbuy, or Mac store, etc?

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

ha true, well worded

7. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

why are you asking these stupid questions? im mostly refering to the battery question, have you ever heard of Apple.com? the 17 has an 8 hour battery life vs the advertised 5 of the pro.... do some research instead of wanting us to do it for you?

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yes "8 hours" ;)

9. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

i feel like hour doesn't require the s in my context, it just sounds better, because i used an... an, but tech your right.... the 17 has 8 hours of battery life....

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think it was in quotes since you probably won't be able to get that kind of battery life in the real world.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 17" MBP isn't going to be slower, but it will be heavier and more cumbersome to lug around.

The 17" has a better battery, and the non-glossy screen option, the 15" has a smaller lighter form factor and is glossy only.

personally I think the 15" MBP is just right - at least for my needs.

12. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

oh, well i wasnt even thinking that, my friend has a 17 inch and hes brought it over and gotten pretty close to 8 hours of stuff, we had brightness down almost all the way but it got like 7:45... so yea "8hours":eek:

13. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Get the 17 with matte option. The glass on my iMac is horrible, but I can live with it.

14. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

The 17"MBP suits my needs perfectly. The weight difference is negligible if you have a good bag to carry it in. I use a timbuk2 carry bag for my everyday use.

My wife is a petite 5'-1" tall and she has no issues carrying her 17" PB G4 around in her tb2 carry bag.

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the only reason the 17" is worth getting is for the resolution and probably the matte screen if it matters to you.

If you prefer 1920 resolution then get the 17, no questions asked. Sealed battery is kinda sketchy, "8 hours" but in terms of weight and size it's not as bad as you would think.

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

ha, thank you, ur one guy captain obvious doesnt need to slap

17. Resist macrumors 68030

I disagree, I love the glossy glass as it shows pictures really well. Just don't use it in a very bright lit area, to avoid reflections.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It actually does the exact opposite.

19. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Glossy screens are the ish hands down. I dont know why poeple hate them so much. But if you have the choice get the 17 my man. If you get the 15 the min you watch a movie or view your photos or sometbing like that you are going to be like "damn, this would look alot bigger and better on the 17". And dont get matte or you are going to be lime "damn this would look alot brighter and vibrant with the glossy" lol

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, I came from a 15" matte MBP and feel the glossy screen to be as good if not better. The down side of the screen is what most people knock, and the reflective nature of the glass. My setup is such that this is greatly mitigated and so its not a problem.

As for viewing photographs, once the display is calibrated its just as good as the matte, in fact its better because with a matte screen there's a layer between the display panel and the glass (or plastic) to alter the light and reflectivity giving you that matte look. Since this altering the light, its altering the color and so technically a glossy screen is a more accurate representation of an image.

21. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    Agreed. IMO, it's the only thing that lets down an otherwise excellent desktop. That said, the viewing angles on the IPS panels on 24" iMacs are much better than the TN panels on the 20" iMac.

If daily portability is a non-issue I'd go for 17", with matte. ;)

22. theking79 macrumors 6502

if you order a 17" matte, prepare to wait at least a month to get the laptop, maybe more.

23. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Are you guys talking about glossy or glassy? There is a huge difference. Glossy is just the regular old glossy, but glassy (on the aluminum iMac and unibody MBP) is basically a mirror. I have moderate light conditions in my room, with the screen adjusted to the max brightness, yet it reflects light like a mirror. It puts strain on my eyes, and pisses me off to see myself on the screen. I can cope with it, though. It may be less of a problem on the MBP because it uses a LED screen. But people are also having problem with the 17" backlight for being too dim. My Macbook Pro, however, with the glossy is much better. I do like the glossy better than the matte, but not the glassy over the matte.