15-inch rMBP 512GB or 460 4GB Graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronaldcastillo, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I'm a graphic designer & do a little photography on the side. I run Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign/Lightroom on a daily basis as well as Safari/Mail. With the price increase for the rMBP, I can't afford both upgrades, but decided to choose either one.

I currently use Dropbox/iCloud Drive/External HD aside from the actual computer space, but I feel like at this price point 512GB should be standard. (I can possibly live with 256GB since I can always delete/store files somewhere else).

For graphics, is it worth upgrading from 2GB to 4GB with the type of work that I do? I don't do video editing, but I do watch a lot of videos/convert videos using Handbrake.

Would be nice to receive input on which upgrade I should go with! Thanks!

2. cookies! macrumors 6502

Given that the nature of my work is basically identical to your's, and because I use a 2014 15" MBP 750m, I think I can offer some decent advice. FYI: the new integrated graphics chip is similar in performance to the 750m.

You just need "compatible" GPU for Illustrator CC (check Adobe for the list). Even then, there is barely any advantage to a discrete one due to the nature of the program. The same goes for Lightroom. What matters is RAM, not the GPU or VRAM. Just get a modern one (like the one in the MBP) and you are set :)

Now, a better GPU can matter with Photoshop if you enjoy working with the 3D tools. But other than that, RAM is much more valuable. And a better GPU helps with video conversion when you are doing any rendering (like changing the frame rate, etc.) But the effect size isn't huge, and this only applies to certain conversions.

I think you would appreciate the SSD space more. Enjoy!

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

IMO get both/save up a few more bills. Given apples update cycle recently who knows when they will release an update. Given the bump in video and HDD space might make it last a big longer...

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

If you wanna upgrade 15" 2.7 MBP, you can spend the following:

Graphics: $100
    Processor: $200
    Capacity: $400

Considering how expensive the MBP is as it is, I went with the cheapest upgrade, which is better graphics.

I hope the standard 512GB will be enough for me. Just couldn't justify spending extra $400 on 1TB.