15 inchpro confirms iris pro lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zyr123, May 27, 2015.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

If you're going to start a thread, you should be a bit more descriptive.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not sure why you think it'd be any different than running Yosemite on the 2014 15" rMBP, the base models are both running the same GPU.

4. Woch macrumors newbie

5. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I had the 2014 MBP 15" without dGPU and it was amazing. Sorry zyr123 that your MBP isn't/wasn't working well, did you update to the newest OS X 10.10.03 version?

Kal.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What about the people complaining about the lag issue on their 2012 retina MBPs? Yosemite wasn't out then.

While I'm sure apple can and may very well fix the issue in the OS, its not a new phenomenon and it predates Yosemite.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

This seems to be a fairly documented issue with Retina displays. In your opinion, do you believe it to be poorly optimised graphics drivers or that the graphics card simply isn't powerful enough to drive the Retina display smoothly with all the animations?

Out of interest, do you know if the issues persist when running Windows at max resolution, or is the issue isolated to OS X?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be honest, I have no idea what the cause is, but I think it may be able to be solved with apple tweaking/fixing some video drivers.

As for windows, I run windows on my SP3, so my MBP is OS X only :)

9. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fully loaded model. Running at the highest res possible. Yeah Yosemite is up to date.

10. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

Of course. The card can cope with pretty intense gaming for an iGPU, so obviously some lag when scrolling in a web page or something is not the card's fault.

11. Blue Sun, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015

Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Has anyone noticed that the iGPU only model has better performance (UI animations specifically) when compared to the model with the dGPU but running the iGPU?

It has to be the power-state. It couldn't be driver related, because they should have the same drivers.

I'm referring to the 15" rMBP with the Iris Pro FWIW.

EDIT: it seems that the Guest account has no lag at all (Mission Control) when using the Iris Pro iGPU (Late 2013 15" rMBP w/dGPU). It seems as though the size of the Dock and the number of applications in the Dock directly affects the smoothness of UI animations. From what I can tell, if the Dock is as large as it can be (i.e stretching across the entire screen horizontally) there is no UI lag. However, if the Dock is smaller, there is some UI lag present. Has anyone else noticed this?