15" late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickeydean, Apr 11, 2015.

1. mickeydean macrumors 6502

Max spec. Wondering what everyone else was getting for their battery life and the conditions?

Mine varies a fair bit (but so does my usage) and I'm wondering if it is outside the normal range.

2. yangchewren macrumors regular

6 hours of serious work. 10 hours when hipster cafe web browsing.

3. mickeydean thread starter macrumors 6502

I get 5h just web browsing (medscape and wiki). Tried SMC reset and PRAM reset. Checked all processes. Turned off most notifications.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Are you using chrome

It really can hammer your battery life.

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

My wife has a late 2013 15" and the battery life is very disappointing. I don't think it has ever gone past 5 hours of use.

6. mickeydean thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the rest but use chrome? Naw dawg. I only use safari.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It depends so much on what you are doing and if you engage the dGPU. 5 hrs is about my average.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

My late-2013 15" (2.6/16/1TB/750M) lasts about 7.5-8 hours under normal usage (gfxcardstatus forcing to Iris Pro only, Safari, Spotify, Pages and Preview), and about 4 hours under heavy usage (gfxcardstatus forced to NVIDIA only, VMware Fusion with 2 VMs running and FCP X).

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

Hold "option" and click on the battery icon - see if its listed as being "normal."

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It also with just browsing depends on which and how many websites at the same time you visit. How much you scroll and switch in between.
    I also get around 5h on average. 8-10h is what you get with lowered brightness and kind of a slow working speed or even not scrolling with your fingers at all but with the spacebar. Just check how scrolling sets the cpu aflame. It creates a lot of load and if you slowly scroll while reading you need a lot of power compared to just flipping down a page with the spacebar each time you reach the end.

Imagine the battery life tests Apple do. Switch every 40 seconds to a new web page. Load that page and do nothing for 40 second until the next comes up. Yet most people read shorter info snippets on the web and click much faster through new websites, also we scroll while reading which is by far the most power hungry operation and completely ignored in Apple's battery life tests and automated tests of most review sites.

Also different websites create different load. Youtube HTML5 video creates much less load then the twitch video flash. Twitch.tv is especially terrible on retina screens in full screen. It will suck your battery dry in 3h.
    Similar things go for videos all over the web on different sites like Facebook, Hulu, tv networks, ...
    A 1080p video is also different than a 480p obviously.

Here are a lot of people that will tell you they get 8h+ but they move through the web in a snails pace most likely. I can get a lot of battery life just coding because that literally needs no power at all (just typwriter power use) but somebody who does creative work in imovie or processes a lot of photos in a decent working speed will get far less.

You can download the Intel power gadget to see imediately what your Intel chipset needs at the moment (when the dGPU is active you won't see its power draw, ergo only with iGPU can you see the full draw). The screen needs about 5W. If the whole thing needs 10W on average you are at 10h battery life. With the chipset at 15W you are at less than half that.
    Some programs also read out the battery draw and calculate the full system draw but you don't get the kind of instant feedback.