15" LCD on 2007 MB Pro blown, easy replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gnychis, Nov 17, 2010.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I have a 2007 MB Pro with a 15" LCD that apparently blew. I took it to the Apple store (now out of warranty), and they said that the board was OK but the screen blew. To replace it, it would be $500-600. That is obviously overkill to anyone tech savvy :p

Has anyone replaced an LCD in the 2007 model before? Is it easy? Also, where might the best (least expensive) place to be for getting parts like this online? Authentic Apple parts only (which makes me skeptical of eBay).

Thanks a bunch.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

4. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks bud. the replacement process seems pretty straight forward. ifixit has the screen for $500, which is about what Apple wants to replace it. Eek. Does anyone know any other sources for parts?

5. phib3r0ptik macrumors newbie

Ebay perhaps?
    I wouldn't expect to find really cheap parts for that model these days, and a good general rule of thumb is it is never worth spending more then about 1/2 of the price of a computer on upgrades/repairs if it is older then two years.

The suggestions with the LCD wasn't trolling, I would agree that that is your best course of action.

I would consider looking into getting a replacement and selling that as parts, unless you can find a second hand (working) screen somewhere