Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kculloton

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2007
Hello.

Super excited for this; I am buying my first Mac [:.

Question before pulling the trigger.

I can afford the 17' if I want, but I want to have more 'bang to the buck' if you know what I mean. Is the LED better then the high-def the 17' gives, or should I go with the 17' HD?

Thanks.

ahuman7341

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
Fairbanks, AK
If you want the 17'' and can afford the 17" I reccomend gettign it. The only benefit of the LED on the 15" is the battery which is 6 hours compared to the 17"'s 5.75.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Please give more information for what you will be using it for...for me, I need something more portable, and already have a 17 inch PC laptop.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Difficult question.

If this is your only and main system and space is at a premium, also if you do a lot of video or high end graphics work, then I would go for the 17-inch HD.

On the other hand, if it were my money… I would go for the 15-inch mid-range. Same specs, newer LED screen (so better battery life) and I would then buy a 19-inch LCD monitor. This means, when on the move I would have something a little more compact, and when at home or office I could have a dual screen display. Most flexible combination in my mind.

Good luck with your purchase.

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
As I see it the cheapest one or the top one with 1920x1200 are the only alternatives, the cheapest one are much cheaper and more portable, but if you need the extra resolution, don't care about size and don't wanna worry about the stupid decision to only include 128MB vram go with the 17".

Me myself would like to see the screens irl, and also know if it uses turbocache, but I will probably opt for the low-end 15.4" and then get a 20" TFT to put on my desk.

One benefit except probably better panel quality is that I will try to not sit "at" the notebook because I often eat at my computer, drink at my computer, and so on, and I rather mess up and spill on my usb keyboard than the computer ;/

Also I doubt the notebooks screen are very comfortable if you use external keyboard and mouse.

But well, for me it will probably mostly be "portable desktop", I guess that means I should go with 17" but whatever =P.

I would prefer if it was even smaller, then it would be even easier to decice on a huge screen at home ;D

(My friend plays wow on his Sony DW2000 or whatever it's called, 40" 1080p, and I think he likes it a lot, so that's one alternative for people with bad eyes ;D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.