15'' MacBook Pro (1st Generation) Broken - Want to Access Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smartmika, Jan 22, 2010.

1. smartmika macrumors newbie

I purchased a first generation 15'' MacBook Pro. My hard drive had crashed, so I backed up all my information and installed a new hard drive. Everything worked fine for about two weeks until the contact area between my power cord and the computer started to smoke. I've no longer been able to turn on my computer.

I've had strange issues with my non-warrantied MacBook--including having to replace the battery four times over my three years of owning it and twice having to replace my power adapter (as it literally caught fire twice).

I've since given up on the MacBook Pro and purchased a new cheap laptop. However, I've got lots of important files on that brand new hard drive I put into my laptop. As I'm assuming the hard drive itself is still functional, I want to know how I could remove it and obtain my data.

Do any of you know what sort of chassis I could purchase in order to essentially use my MacBook Pro's hard drive as an external drive to obtain these files?

Thank you very much for any help you can offer!!

2. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

hey,

you just have to buy a regular 2,5" external hard drive enclosure für S-ATA drives.

There are also adapters like that:
    http://cld.ly/c414rc

without an enclosure.

3. smartmika thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

So as long as the drive is still functional, I should be able to purchase a cheap SATA adapter (like the one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002) and immediately access the content?

Would there be any issue trying to obtain files from my MacBook Pro hard drive since I now run Windows?

Thanks again!

4. Paul B macrumors 6502

Yes, you can get a SATA adapter but you shouldn't have to pay more than $10 for one, shipped.

If the drive is still working, there should be zero problems retrieving the data. Worst case scenario you might have to change the permissions of some files.