15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Quad High Res Vs. Low Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrwonkers, Feb 26, 2011.

1. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Hi all I managed to sell of my 2010 17 i7 1 hour before the official announcement..PHEW!
    I then drove 300kms to my citys only official Apple Retail Store and purchased the 2.2 15" 1440x900 success....
    Then I get home image everything over from my previous system and fire up Adobe Lightroom to do some raw editing....... THIS SCREEN RES sucks. My question is how much more real estate does the 1680x1050 offer? Is there going to much real difference or am I screwed - I don't want to have 2 go 2 a 17" model again as it was monstrously huge to me and really am not interested in having to use an external monitor. I also noticed the gloss screen is much dimmer than my previous antiglare screen. With my old screen brightness would stay at half maximum, on this system it needs to sit at around 75%...Thoughts????

2. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

My school uses the oldschool ancient Apple Cinema Displays that have the feet on both ends, and they run at 1680x1050 like these new machines. My current MBP is kind of tight for using Photoshop at 1440x900, but at school I feel like I have a bit more breathing room, even though we're on old G5's (I know, right?) I feel like that size helps enough to make me more productive in my workspace, even though it seems like a small increase. I went ahead and ordered it on my model, so that should be arriving next week and I can test it further. I feel confident in my choice though, based on what I use in class. Although I expect the text to be smaller, but it shouldn't be a huge problem. I feel like it's a decent tradeoff, although I had hoped for 1920x1200 like my desktop monitor. When I really need to get into workhorse mode, I always link up to that bad boy, my Magic Mouse, and my Apple Keyboard.

Bottom line, I figure for $100 its worth it if you do any sort of photo or graphic editing.

3. raremage macrumors 6502a

According to Apple's website, High Res means 36% more real estate.

I find the difference to be quite noticeable, if I swap to 1440x852 (the closest thing to the "Low-Res" display), stretch a window to fill the screen, and then switch to the 1680 res, you see exactly how much real estate you gain with the higher res screen. It's well worth the cost to me.

4. nygfan80 macrumors regular

In my opinion, it's significant. The hi-res was way to much for me. I do a lot of video editing and gaming but no photoshop. I usually have the screen near me also.

5. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

I've read multiple threads on this, but I'm getting very nervous about the 15" hi-res that I just ordered. I generally don't use spreadsheets, photoshop, and the other applications that demand more screen real estate, and I can't stand small font. I should have looked at this in-store somewhere before buying.

I realize you can apparently modify the resolution on the high-res, but the non-native resolution looks less than optimal. :(

6. nygfan80 macrumors regular

It's so hard to get an opinion. I couldn't say the Hi-Res wasn't awesome because it was but it was overkill for someone like me. I am used to the bigger fonts, icons etc. The standard resolution is perfect for me. Test it out for a week, if you don't like it, return it and get the other one. I am sure Apple will understand. They even knocked off the re-stocking free a few months back because the screen just didn't work out.

7. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Thanks!!