15" MacBook Pro 2.93 8GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfrik, Mar 21, 2009.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hello guys, I'm new here.

Just a quick question, I owned an early 15" MacBook Pro 2.93 GHz. Just wondering, since it has the same processor as the 17 inch model, can it hold 8GB of ram like the 17" did?

Thank you

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

15" max is 6GB (same processor maybe, but different logic board) but depending on what you want it for it wont worth the upgrade due to the fact you lose dual channel (supposedly even when losing dual channel 6GB should be better than 4GB however most of the system do not use the 4GB or 6GB completely so you would actually be hurting the performance if you fall into that category) in the other side, 4GB modules are very expensive so still. Unless you need explicitly the ram due to the programs you use. I'd look for another alternative to increase performance such as SSD drives.

3. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Thank you for your answer. I see, yeah 4gb single kit still costs for about 500 bucks. I've upgraded my MacBook Pro with ssd drive already. I'm just curious about it since both 15 and 17 has different processor. Thanks.

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

People asking about this much ram aren't generally looking for 'speed' improvements on something like a game or safari. We are looking for quantity because we run really memory intensive apps like virtual machines, motion, or photoshop.

6. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Well he made a general question he got an aswer that suits MOST* people obviously if he plans to run 3 virtual machines + photoshop + a couple of other programs, more ram will be helpful (however even if he got enough ram the other components of his laptop might not be able to keep up with the task) even so, for the price of 1 4GB stick he can probably buy a whole computer (obviously not mac) but if he is going to run a virtual machine a whole computer is likely to be much better for the task than a virtual one isnt it?

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i agree dual channel really only helps when running real-time software, a good example of this would be a person doing flight control at an airport in the control tower. so not really any of us haha

8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I find it's quite a bit easier to carry my Solaris VM, Linux VMs, and Windows VM around in my bag than 4-5 whole computers. ;)

9. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

But that wasn't in response to his question at all. He asked if it could now utilize the full 8 gigs in the newest umbp 15".

And if he was likely to buy a whole new machine instead of virtualization, he would have posted on a mac desktop forum. He already has a laptop - I doubt he would carry around a second laptop for the times he needs to use other OS's. I know that wouldn't work for me. Plus with a separate machine you don't have easy copy/paste between the 2, or shared keyboard/mouse.

Either way, that argument was never even asked for by the OP.

10. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I was typing out.

11. xoggyux macrumors 6502

And why would you want to do just that? (I get people trying to use windows since a few program only runs on windows) but linux?

12. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Because our software runs on Ubuntu, RHEL, Solaris, and Windows (and Macs of course). And I often need to demo stuff to people in the OS that they want to see it in. Or answer questions like "Say I wanted to deploy this on our Solaris boxes and then monitor it in Windows" or whatever the case may be.

I'm running 6GB. I'm tempted to try 8, because I haven't seen anyone actually try 8 on the 2.93 15s.

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the speed of the processor does not make a difference. it will slow your computer down no matter what speed your processor its.

14. eddietr macrumors 6502a

No, that wasnt' the point.

People have tried 8GB in the earlier Unibody 15s and it didn't work. I will try 8GB in the new 2.93 and see if still doesn't work.

If it doesn't work than someone else in the office gets an upgrade from 4GB to 6. :)

15. xoggyux macrumors 6502

indeed, is the logic board the prob... (check out 17" with 2.66, no probs with 8GB....)

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the general consensus from other threads is that it is the firmware. in other words apple "crippled" it so that 8GB cannot be run on the 15". the hope is that with snow leopard this will no longer be the case and that those of us that own the 15" will be able to put in 8gb at that time.

17. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

So has anyone been able to successfully use 8gb in the previous generation 15" 2.93GHz MBP? I've goy one wit 4gb now.. just wondering if I can up it.

18. Yvan Z macrumors newbie

I know this thread is super old now, but I figured a few people would like to know an answer to this.

The MBP 15" 2.93Ghz was a minor revision to the first Unibody MBP's, which were originally 2.53/2.8 and upgraded to 2.66/2.93. While those were updated, I believe a higher revision of NVidia chipset was also updated, enabling the later models to use 8GB of RAM.

I personally own one of these machines myself, with 8GB of RAM recently installed.

19. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

So this does work? I'd love to get 8gb or ram in mine but that's a hefty price to just be going out on a limb.

20. Yvan Z macrumors newbie

Sure does.

It's a lot cheaper than what it used to be, but don't bother getting it from Apple, it's far too overpriced, I got myself a few Kingston sticks and they were reasonable. I live in Australia, so telling you how much I got them for wouldn't mean much.

Attached Files:

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

This is the same setup that I'm running on my 17" MBP 5,2. Works just fine for me.

22. FRiC macrumors member

Prices depend on where you live of course, but where I live, prices on larger capacity RAM have dropped while smaller capacity RAM have increased. Most recently when I looked, price for a single 4 GB RAM stick is exactly the same as two 2 GB RAM sticks.

I had to ask the guy at the shop to show me the actual RAM stick to see that what he's selling is in fact a single 4 GB stick and not a "kit".

RAM prices are never a issue for me though, since I've been buying RAM for so long, the most expensive DDR3 RAM today is far cheaper than any of the older RAM I bought previously. :eek: