15" MacBook Pro (2011) Case Pretty Warm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsurpless, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jsurpless macrumors member

Hi everyone...

So I get that these laptops seem to be running warm, my only concern is about how warm the bottom of the case gets until basic usage...

My GF bought this and she basically surfs the web, uses Word and was playing 'Full Deck Solitaire' last night... just doing this, CPU basically idling => CPU temps around 140-150F...

Now, as I said, I don't really care about the temperature itself, rather just that it basically gets too warm to put on her lap...

I've tried installing 'Fan Control' and that seems to help a bit...

Wondering if anyone has any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

-Justin

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have a late 2008 MBP that gets quite warm on the bottom. I use the Logitech Portable Lapdesk N315. It's very light and thin, but still separates me from the computer enough that it's much more comfortable. Any laptop desk should work, though, just depends on what you like.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

with the high specs on the macbooks, is normal for them to get hot. some of the heat will disapate through the botton of the case.

doesnt bother me as i never use it on my lap

4. jsurpless thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, definitely understand... however, she is looking to use it on her lap and so we have our "problem"...

----------

Pretty cool, thanks for the recommendation... :)

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

whether its dell, hp or sony, all fully loaded laptops will get "hot" no matter what.

ive read the macbook air "doesnt" get hot at all, so if u can still return it, maybe consider switching to a 13inch air

6. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

like a good wife ur mac must be warm, HOT is better :D

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

She is using too much computer for her needs, maybe consider a 13" air? It would probably suit her better, be lighter and it runs much cooler, the 15" is a real powerhouse.

8. pingfan59 macrumors member

I have had my mbp for a week now and when doing intensive gaming or video card intensive apps, I use a laptop cooler and it stays cool, when I do not it gets super hot especially near the ports and keyboard.

I would suggest a laptop cooler, I have had this tarsus bronze colored cooler for a year now and still works great and is pretty quiet.

9. jsurpless thread starter macrumors member

This is quite probably true... however, it is the only 15" laptop that Apple makes... she compared the various screen sizes and felt that the 13" was too small...

10. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Get something like a Speck See Thru case. The bottom of MacBook Pro won't be as hot with it on.

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Instead all the heat gets directed back in! Not good for components imo.

I agree, if you can return it, get the air.

12. jsurpless thread starter macrumors member

I've thought about this, although as the guy below says - wouldn't it defeat some of the cooling built-in to the MBP? I guess it would just cause higher temps (which aren't high to start, as far as components are concerned) and maybe higher fan exhaust...

----------

Don't you think that this would just result in higher fan exhaust, if needed?

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

IF the computer is that hot, it is already exhausting everything it can... so no.

14. jsurpless thread starter macrumors member

It's really not exhausting all that it can... cause the fan is barely running; if I turn up the fan, it cools down noticeably...

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i've never had mine get too hot to use on my lap when the fans were still idling... never warmer than 32C. which is like 90F.

16. jsurpless thread starter macrumors member

What was never warmer than 90F? The surface of the case?

17. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I have a targus lap desk for my MBP 13" and I like it a lot. I use my computer on my bed rather frequently. As such, I needed something to keep my computer from cooking itself on my bed. It's pretty nice, and it's small so you can use it on your lap without noticing a big difference.

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yes, the enclosure sensors. sorry, should have been more specific