15' MacBook Pro + 24' LED Cinema Display or iMac 27'

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Appdict, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Appdict macrumors regular

Hi everyone.

After researching this, I realized I can get a 15' MacBook Pro Refurbished for 1300$ on the Apple Online store, as well as an LED Cinema Display 24' (refurbished also) for 600$. Thus, bringing out my total to 1,900$. This means it would cost only 200$ more then buying a 27' iMac.

My question to you all, which do you think?
    (For the record, I'm thirteen. Yes, I can get the money for this stuff, it just takes time.)

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The 27" iMac would provide more power, so it really comes down to your priorities. Portability vs. power.

For a 13 year old, I doubt you'd be doing anything intensive, and you can show all your friends your super cool new Apple laptop!

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i'd get the 27"imac really [​IMG] unless you need portability, the power will kill you compared to the imacs

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

5. Appdict thread starter macrumors regular

I'm taking that as just what most people think of thirteen year olds, but honestly I do some intuitive things on my computers. I'm working towards becoming a graphic designer, and Macs are where that business is. I'm not a gamer, or that type of thing. I currently have a PowerBook G4' but that just isn't cutting it. If I get these Macs, I'm using them to their fullest potential.

Sorry if it seems like I was ranting, I just didn't want to seem like some stupid teenager. :)

6. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I would say get the iMac for now.

By the time you're in college/university/trade school/career life/whatever, you could get a MBP if you determine portability is a requirement; heck, if I weren't in school now and didn't need to portability I would get an iMac.

The 27" iMac will last a long time and should keep up with the changing demands of graphic design for many years.

Worst case scenario... you'll have to upgrade to a Mac Pro when your iMac stops cutting it.

7. Appdict thread starter macrumors regular

I still need portability, for whatever reason. I think I will wait on an iMac, it's probably better running two screens as compared to one. Thanks for the tips, I think I'm sticking to my original plan.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The new iMac really changes the equation. Move back to the desktop with me.
    Actually considering the new i5.

9. Appdict thread starter macrumors regular

May I ask what the i5 is? :confused:

10. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

The high-end model of the new iMac. (Quad Core)

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I use the 15 inch mbp and apple cinema display combo and don't find it lacking at all. I prefer desktops but due to a unique work situation a desktop isn't an option.

I find using extended desktop essential for most things I do and two screens really helps. I make games in my free time and if I'm learning a new software or reading any ebooks that I am learning out of its great to be able to have the book on one screen rather than infront of you and then the program your working in on the other screen. Its a great setup and is still portable. You wont regret it.

12. Buzz Bumble Guest

Wow! :eek:
    "15 foot MacBook Pro + 24 foot LED Cinema Display or iMac 27 foot"?!?!
    I think you'll be waiting quite a while for Apple to release machines of that size! ;)

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Definitely -- the 27" iMac is the way to go.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro that I am using connected to a 23" Cinema Display, using it like a desktop with the keyboard and mouse. I really wish I had an iMac though, I miss having a dedicated desktop. The much faster, larger 3.5" internal hard drive makes all the difference in performance, plus the new 27" iMac uses a desktop processor, not a mobile processor. You will notice much faster performance on the iMac and you will have a dedicated desktop Mac. If you need the portability 100% and constantly need a laptop, and you don't have one now, then get the MacBook Pro.

The optimal solution would be a MacBook Pro AND an iMac. That is what I eventually want. Even the old 2007-era MacBook pros are still good machines.

14. Buzz Bumble Guest

Well, a higher-end model of the iMac. The real high-end model is the i7 quad core. Both are build-to-order upgraded versions of the 27" iMac. :)

15. Appdict thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, I see everyone is very hyped up about the new iMac :). I need portability though, so I believe I'm going to stay with the 24 inch! ACD and MacBook Pro.

16. jaycee520 macrumors regular

...excellent choice..i went to that route and lovin it

17. ColeUK macrumors member

Advice for me too please!

OOOPS just noticed how old this thread is! :s lol

Hey guys, wondered if you could answer a similar problem I have.

I currently have a iMac 24" mid 2009 (3.06ghz, 4GB, 1TB HD etc...) **See Signature**

Now on a side, I am looking to upgrade my old Sony laptop and thought about going down the MBP + Cinema Display route, and selling my iMac.

I am a flight attendant and portability is definately something I am looking for now. I need a MBP that will match as close to my current iMac as I am looking to do design using Adobe CS4 etc...And possibly later some music production. I also do some amateur photography, PS, Bridge.

May be a lot to ask but I am looking to cover as many bases as I can, naturally!

Am thinking about a 15" MBP i7 3.06ghz, what do you think? May consider a 17" too. I will look to utilize some of my time away to do design work and the ext cinema display will be a bonus when I am at home?

What do you think any suggestions or advice, things to consider?