15" Macbook Pro Charging Advice

Rugbydman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Hi
I have tried looking on the Apple help pages for advice on best way to treat the battery

Should I leave it plugged in while at the desk
run the battery all the way down once a month
top it up frequently

or is this all nonsense these days

thanks

IngerMan

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I’d say 80% on my desk
That is about what I do, and that 10%-20% of the time I run on battery. I have no problem getting a full days usage on battery for my office work. I just leave it charging when in sits at the dock or desk. I occasionally use it at the recliner.

I don't think there is any one right way, some leave it charging 100% of the time, some drain it daily. Bottom line is the battery should be good for 1500 charging cycles or about 5 years. I just use it the way it best suites my needs. If it was only a desk top machine I would purposely drain it 50% or some every few months, but I am not sure that is neccessary.

I have a 2016 13"MBP almost 2 years old and it mostly sits docked and charged through out the week. 51 cycles 97%
It is going to get less and less use for I have a 6 week old 2017 15" with 6 cycles 100%. It is going to degrade over time regardless of amount of cycles. Time will be the enemy.

Rugbydman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
That is about what I do, and that 10%-20% of the time I run on battery. I have no problem getting a full days usage on battery for my office work. I just leave it charging when in sits at the dock or desk. I occasionally use it at the recliner.

I don't think there is any one right way, some leave it charging 100% of the time, some drain it daily. Bottom line is the battery should be good for 1500 charging cycles or about 5 years. I just use it the way it best suites my needs. If it was only a desk top machine I would purposely drain it 50% or some every few months, but I am not sure that is neccessary.

I have a 2016 13"MBP almost 2 years old and it mostly sits docked and charged through out the week. 51 cycles 97%
It is going to get less and less use for I have a 6 week old 2017 15" with 6 cycles 100%. It is going to degrade over time regardless of amount of cycles. Time will be the enemy.

Thank You sounds like great advice. I take it away from home every month so it will get a good drain then.

Reactions: IngerMan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.