Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mputtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Heya,
I just registered to this forum just about.... a few minutes ago and I need some help with something that has been bugging me like crazy.
I'm a dual Windows and Mac user and my problem is the return key on my macbook pro.
I have the US keyboard layout and the problem is that when I press return, it is supposed to start the program, but instead it goes into rename. another key, 2 keys to the right of the spacebar is the "enter" key which does teh same exact thing. I've been told to use fn+return to use the return function but doing that.. does nothing.
I highlighted a rtf file and hit the enter button (by the spacebar), Return, and fn+return and all three of those actions led straight to renaming the file.

Do you guys mind helping me with this issue please? It's bogging my work speed down. I prefer to use both systems equally and this is a heavy deal breaker for me if there is nothing I can do about since i will be spending much much more time on my windows system if I can't get this issue resolved.

thanks!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you're doing this in OS X and not Windows, it's not a problem and it's the way OS X is designed. Pressing the "Return/Enter" key will always result in renaming the file while "fn + return/enter" will do the same. Unfortunately, to open an application or file with the keyboard, the keyboard "shortcut" would be command+o. If you really want, there are 3rd party programs out there that will allow you to open files with the return key.

mputtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I dont see it as a problem as in a bug of sorts. it's more like an annoyance or a pet peeve.
Would you mind recommending a program for me that will let me use the return key the same way an enter key functions in windows?
it's just weird that Enter and Return do the exact same thing in OSX yet they have 2 separate buttons for it as well as variation that does the same thing. (feels like having 3 spacebars for no reason)

p.s thanks for your quick reply

mputtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Hi..
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can acquire a program that would allow me to remap my keyboard on my mbp?
please?

mputtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
another bump again.
What does it take for me to get an answer to my keyboard woes?

mputtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I would be absolutely nice if someone can point me in the right direction for the software that I'm looking for. Please?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure there's really a program for what you're asking because I suspect most mac users don't see this as a problem.

try searching macupdate.com or google. I think the lack of responses are indicative of the issue, i.e., most people don't see it as a problem and so are unaware of any programs to change what you're looking.

Its really a learning curve from changing from windows to the Mac. For instance, in the windows in the file explorer you can cut/paste files (moving them from one location to another) no such functionality exists on the mac to cut/paste files. Its just one of those things that you need to adjust your habits

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.