15" MacBook Pro Hardshell Case - What's the best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ColonelSmith, May 5, 2010.

1. ColonelSmith macrumors member

Hi, I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro and I've finally made my first ding in the aluminum. I'm now looking into getting both a hardshell and a neoprene case. Anyone have any suggestions for some stylish but affordable ones? I'm not too picky on colors either. Also, I've been in the mood for trying out some new things with my mac lately. Has anyone come across any awesome but affordable accessories that you would suggest I check out as well? Thanks.

2. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

None.

Hardshells don't really protect from dings- only slightly. The hardshells are made from thin flimsy plastic. They MAY look good (keyword MAY) but don't offer much protection; if at all. I had a Speck hardshell for a while but dirt and crumbs would get in between the case and the body of my MBP which could cause scratches. What you NEED is to but a good protective holder for your MBP while it's in your bag, and rock your MBP naked when you actually use it.

I LOVE my Tom Bihn Vertical Brain Cell (tombihn.com). It's the BEST protection I've EVER had- including the Booq and many different neoprene sleeves. Get a TOM BIHN BRAIN CELL! You won't regret it. Just make sure you buy the correct orienteation for your MBP- either vertical if you put it in a book bag, or horizontal if you carry it in a messenger.

3. Err0xx macrumors member

Do yourself a favor and go to vajacases.com and check out their MacBook pro cases. Click products at the top, then notebooks/net books, then click on apple. They are expensive as heck but i guarantee you will NOT find a better case in terms of appearance and protection. These shells are the king of the MBP shell case world. Proud owner of 3 of these.

Err0xx