15" Macbook Pro + Henge Dock + 60w charger = ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenCathro, Sep 30, 2012.

1. BenCathro macrumors newbie

So I've just purchased a Henge Dock for my late 2011 Macbook Pro 15" and plan to run it in clamshell mode (obviously).

The issue is that you have to fix the power cable to the dock which means using a dedicated charger is a necessity. I have a spare 60w charger which as I understand can't quite power the laptop when in use.

But, with the laptop in clamshell mode I would think there would be less power demand as the screen isn't on.

Anyone have any experience with this or know if the 60w will handle the task?

Cheers in advance!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could try it, you may see that it works fine, or you may see that your battery slowly drains while it is plugged in and being used. The extra stress on the 60w power adapter may shorten its life so make sure it isn't getting too hot.

3. BenCathro thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, will give it a shot. Out of curiosity, if the charger can't handle it, will the charging indicator show the charging symbol but the time till fully charge go down... Or will it show that it's not charging?

Cheers for the advice.

4. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

AFAIK, the 15" MBP does not "usually" need the full power of the 60W charger.
    I once misplaced my 85W, and used my old macbook's 60W for a day, it charged, albeit more slowly. I've even once (for curiosity's sake) used my wife's 45W MBA charger. I guess it all depend on how much oomph you use...

Pekka

5. ooans macrumors 6502

I've occasionally used my MBA 45W charger with my 15" MBP. It has only once been a problem when I doing some video encoding. In this case the battery charge just started slowly dropping down.