15'' macbook pro nerfed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koban4max, Oct 23, 2013.

1. koban4max macrumors 68000

Even though it has either 2.0 ghz or 2.3...is it fast?
    Previous models had 2.6 or something like that...but why did it lower the speed? Would these affect heavy using programs like editing or music along with heavy usage games (yes yes...why buy it for games....well..i like games..it's extra to me..anyhow)?

2. StockDC2 macrumors regular

There are many other factors than just Ghz that determines the power and efficiency of a processor.

3. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

could you please elaborate that? (in details). thx

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Newer processor architectures can do more processing per clock cycle.

The CPUs in the new 15" models also have a large 128mb cache on board that the old ones didn't.

You also need to look at the listed Turbo Boost frequencies, because the chips will clock up higher than their base speed when you run something that doesn't stress all 4 cores.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Intel has long stopped using frequency as the main measurement of performance in its CPUs, they've improved performance and efficiency in the chip sets so that looking at the Ghz no longer means the same.

6. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

It is NOT slower even though it has less GHz.

To compare with the old MBA vs. Haswell MBA:

2012 MBA (1.8GHz Ivy Bridge): Geekbench score: 4000
    2013 MBA (1.3GHz Haswell): Geekbench score: 7000

So even though it has 500MHz less, it's still faster than the older Ivy Bridge.

7. yliu macrumors regular

Mainly agreed that clock speed does not always indicate speed.
    Benchamarks show that the 2012 MBA and 2013 MBA are nearly identical in CPU performance, the 2012 is just slightly after.
    The higher Geekbench score can be caused be the faster SSD or other tweaks.

The MBPr should perform similarly as their last gen counterparts, so for music editing, there isn't much improvement.

In terms of GPU, it is nerfed as the dGPU only comes with the most expensive model and the GT 650 still beats the Iris Pro.

For gaming, I'd say get the last gen model at a discounted price and it will most likely perform better than a new one. Unless you have the money to buy the 2600 USD model.

8. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

ahh ok ic...ic.. i never really understood the purpose of turbo boast...but now i see.

----------

so do you mean benchmark is higher? i would be able to run heavy stuff with the new models, right?

----------

benchmark is the main thing we would look at in order to see which model runs better?

----------

correct me if i'm wrong..isn't that what their offering 650 gt? was it iris pro...