15" MacBook Pro non retina buying question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kirk286, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Kirk286 macrumors newbie

I've had a 13" Mbp since 2009 and in that time have upgraded the memory and hard drive twice. I don't really like the way the retina machines are going in that you can't upgrade memory and there is no optical drive. Call me old fashioned, but I still watch DVDs on it and like the idea of using the drive bay in future if necessary.
    So my question is: with the non retina 15" Mbp being discontinued, the July 2012 model being the last one, how many will be floating around out there and will the price drop? I can only see 2 on amazon, no refurbished on the uk apple store and only a few refurbished on the us store.
    Any advice on where to buy in the uk?
    Thanks..

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Kirk,

I'm with you. Prefer a disk drive and a machine that is upgradable. Because the 15" 2012 is the last of its kind I suspect i will be upgrading to this model before the end of the month, while supplies last. Because it is no made anymore and is hard to find there is little reason to think that there will be further price drops. Compared to the latest 15" retina models it is a 'relative' bargain. I can replace the hard drive with a bigger one and down the road, in a year or 2 or 3, replace the hard drive with a large SSD. With proper care it should last for 5 years.

If it wasn't for it being discontinued I would wait another year or so but best to get them while they last. Besides, a quad core, will help to process my larger photo files.

3. FredTheDeadHead macrumors member

I totally agree. After the recent announcements, I originally was thinking that I might pick up a 'last years' Retina, but the more that I thought about it, the more the non-upgadeability bugged me. Especially since I need a very large hard drive, and Apples prices for these are pretty high.

So, instead, I got a non-Retina MBP quad-core off of Apples refurbished page, and I will install a Fusion drive in it.

4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

There's nothing now, but that might change. This is the answer to this question in the U.S. at least.

Really, as much as I hate to say it, the lack of a DVD drive is one of those burns that is going to be less important for everyone over time. I went with a non-retina model myself when given the choice for that exact reason, figuring that by the time it is time for a new MacBook Pro (4-6 years from the time of purchase), I will be okay with no DVD drive. Continuing that notion, by the time I replace my Mid 2012 non-retina, machines without Thunderbolt will be irrelevant to the point of not needing to care about there not being FireWire 800. No integrated Gigabit Ethernet is annoying. As for not being able to upgrade RAM, that does suck, but if you max it out at the time that you buy it, that's not really an issue. The lack of a standardized SSD is annoying; though I guess it being PCIe based isn't a bad trade-off. To be fair, this lame-duck design of non-retina unibody MacBook Pro was unusually accessible for Apple. Typically, they do not let users get inside their machines unless it's the Power Mac/Mac Pro; we were lucky with this last design of MacBook Pros in that they made an exception.

Really, while I'm not a fan of the lack of upgradability either, going to 16GB of RAM, which is the maximum on both the previous and current retinas is sort of a must ANYWAY. True that Apple rapes us on price, it's still one of those things where only having 8GB especially if one plans on owning said retina for more than a couple years, is a no-brainer. Barring RAM, there's not much to upgrade anyway. GPUs and CPUs have never been upgradable in Mac notebooks.

True, there's no dual-drive opti-bay like thing with which to do a Fusion drive; but having done enough DIY-Fusion drives, I'll tell you that they are a serious pain unless you will never find yourself wiping or re-partitioning your drive in any way; then they're not so bad.

5. Radiating macrumors 65816

Price of MacBook Pro Quad Core 15" ($1500) + Large Fast SSD over 5 years = $300 per year. (assuming resale at end of 5 years for $500)

Price of MacBook Pro Retina Quad Core 15" 768GB Refurb ($2300) over 5 years = $300 per year (assuming $800 resale at end of 5 years).

You pay the same price for fewer features. WTF?