15" MacBook Pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Edwinsmithiv, Dec 9, 2010.

  1. Edwinsmithiv, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

    Edwinsmithiv macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2010
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I'm ripping my hair out trying to decide to pull the trigger on a new i7 MBP now, or wait for a potential redesign. I expect a tapered design and optional flash HD like the MBA. I don't want to drop the $2700 on one if a redesign will be next month. All signs point to a new one soon, but how soon? I know what I get now will be a super machine, but you know my turmoil. Your 2 cents?
     
  2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #2
    wait
     
  3. MrGizmo757 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    Location:
    virginia
    #3
    refresh

    apple refreshes them an an average of every 9 months. sometimes longer. The current model came out only about 5 months ago. so if you think 4 months or more is worth it then that is up to you. When i got My Macbook pro it was a mid 2009 model. people told me to wait. i waited 6 months still no change. i got it last year january first. the update was back in june. so that was what? a 5 month wait after i already waited 6 months. you can never tell what they are going to come out with tomorrow or next month or next year. why wait for what you don't know is coming. for all you know you may not like the next model better than the current. you cant speculate on something you haven't seen or know nothing about. you know what the current one is. the next model may suck. i doubt it because that would not be very apple of them to make it suck but anything is possible. get what you know and love. because the next model may not be what you want. that is my opinion. apple also dose in store credit now. you can get one now. and then when a new one comes out you can trade it for its net worth and get store credit towards a new one. i can walk into apple today and get 1,500 bucks store credit on my current Macbook pro. it would not take much more for me to upgrade in the same category. just think about that. if you buy it now you aren't stuck if something better comes out. you will pay a few hundred extra and 4 months of use is worth 200 bucks isn't it? think about it.
     
  4. darknite38 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    #4
    Jesus christ stop posting threads like this - This isn't DIRECTLY aimed at you (well kind of) but seriously. You and everybody else knows that if you NEED one get it right now. If you can WAIT, WAIT!
     
  5. miguueeel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
  6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #6
    after much thought i have come to the following conclusion: BUY NOW :p

    look no one knows when the MBP's are coming out. some say feb, some say march/april/may- its not 100% certain. the rumors are picking up a bit, but not as much thus a estimated prediction of marchish/april. (i assume that ipad = feb?)

    but lets suppose (just PRETENDokay!) that the Mac book pro comes out tomorrow (with all the other stuff , LP/SB, etc). what will you do? buy it or wait?

    my guess is the first thing that comes to your mind is- BUY IT!! because "well i have been waiting for such a long time and its cool and amazing and i like it :) " great so you buy it but since the new features were added, however, they jacked up the price by $100, not much but still $100. you go home open it and play around
    20 days later, anand tech posts a review saying that its not as well expected, although the processors and graphics are good, this is something we experienced, that, etc.

    what i am saying is, even though the update comes in say 3 months, you would have to wait another month or two (and sometimes more) to get the full review on it, and the ups/downs. why waste money on a product that is lower in comparison to the previous product? (im not saying the next gen will be worse, but once again pretend)


    sure you might buy it and then have ot live with the failures, but still you want a better bang of your buck, right?

    so this is why i say buy it now. the wait will be much less- delivery or pickup? rather than waiting for release than delivery or pickup... and you have other reviews on it.

    so before apple does something crazy like change their HDD to SSD (the air type- i doubt it but who knows) and some other funny stuff, buy it now and not regret it. tech is gonna keep changing and either you loose money to stay on top of it or be satisfied with whats available.

    sure apple may include lightpeak, but whats the use of lightpeak if you have to spend extra $ to get an adapter or have to wait for light peak compatible things to come out..,

    yes, sandy bridge is amazing. i want SB too, (im stuck on getting a MBP 13 as others are too expensive) and im stuck with a C2D, far worse than a i5 or even SB, but face it, when SB comes out, intel will be devising a way to come out with another better chip that is much better and apple will implement that in its next update.

    with the current gen. you are 100% positive that things can be upgraded from HDD to SSD, to taking out OD to putting in a second drive, etc.
    so why wait and increase your desires and thirst for a new product you are un-aware of.

    i mean it all comes back to you:
    if you need it now, BUY IT, if you can wait- WAIT..
    but the problem with that, is you dont know what you are waiting for.there are rumors saying that SB will be in MBP's, but who knows. everyone thought that i3 wouldve been in the MBP 13, but it wasnt.you are more familiar with the current model (if i am correct) than the new one, you know hte pros and cons of the current model but you dont know the pros and cons of hte next gen. what if the next gen is worser? what if the next gen looses battery life? what if... these questions should not be asked, but still think about them.

    a lot of people say wait wait wait. ok wait- but wait for what. we have not a single idea what apple has in mind, how apple will come about including that in the next update, when the next update is, and what changes will there be.. we know nothing. the most important facts are kept hidden (part of apple marketing but still) . why go in blindly to something we are not aware of. its tech, its gonna get better- ok fine, i agree, but how much do you want to wait. i mean if you want to wait get a apple MBP (or whatever it will be) the last day before you die. you will be up to date on all the tech products and you can die happily thinking that i became modern (again not your death in particular, just generally speaking :) )
    since tech changes again, you will always be stuck with an old model. the current 15/17" user with the i5/i7 processors- what about them? they bought damn good computers but the SB will put it down easily. should they upgrade? no. if what they have suits their needs why upgrade. similarly, if the current gen suits your needs then buy it. dont wait for a product which you have no idea about.

    it would be a different case if you knew some factual things, and more rumors were picking up. sure the day apple releases the mBP you will be like, "damn. shouldve waited" but 2-3 months later you may think that "hey! i have a damn good computer after all!"

    sry for the essay, but yeah SRY! :)

    so my final advice- BUY THE MBP NOWWWW
     
  7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

    SPEEDwithJJ

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #7
    Wait a minute. :confused: Maybe it's just me & I totally misread the above.... :eek:

    However, when did Apple start doing trade-ins, even for a purchase that is way over their return policy deadline? :confused: :eek:
     
  8. Black.Infinity, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

    Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

    Black.Infinity

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2010
    Location:
    Apple tree-Toronto
    #8

    since MBP release 7 months and 27 days :D 13/apr/2010
    we are getting closer to update :D
     
  9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #10
    Just wait. I purchased the MPA about 2 months before it was refreshed and ended up selling my current MPA at a loss and upgrade to the new one. I like the newer MPA so much more.

    I think the next MBP will be worth the wait.
     
  10. Pete A, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

    Pete A macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #11
    You sure about this? Do you mean the Apple online store or the retail stores?

    How does the trade-in credit from Apple compare to the price you can get on Ebay?

    EDIT: I entered the words "trade in" in the Search field of the online store and found nothing. I could call my local Apple Store, but those kids often don't know up from down. MrGizmo757, where are you getting your information?
     
  11. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    Location:
    Santa Monica, CA
    #12
    There is a tab at the top of the page that says "Buyer's Guide".

    Click it.

    Peruse.
     
  12. madmeatballs, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

    madmeatballs macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2010
    #13
  13. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #14
    And what questions would you prefer people ask in the "Buying Tips and Advice" forum?
     
  14. frank.deale macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2010
    #15
    If you need it now buy it, if you don't need it now, wait.
     
  15. Compton macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #16
    I decided some 16 months ago that I would buy a new 15" MBP when the default configuration includes: SSD, high resolution display, quad-core processor and 8 MB RAM. I'll wait however long it takes to get there.

    No sense updating unless you can really see a significant improvement. And SSD is THE biggest contributor to increased speed. You can relax if you set up certain cut-off level for buying the damn thing and not worry about it until you get what you want.
     
  16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #17
    You wont see 8GB of ram standard for a while. The average consumer can easily survive with 4GB.

    You have the option for a high res display now?

    Quad-core is more than a few years away.

    You might see an SSD but I doubt it.


    You may be waiting a bit more than 2 years with your wishlist. :)
     
  17. Compton macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #18
    Then let's say 4 years. Or five. Or ten. Some people describe patience as a virtue.
     
  18. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #19
    I bought mine two weeks ago. No regrets as I am not expecting a refresh for before Feb and as late as April.

    The longer you wait the more difficult the decision will be
     
  19. Blaine macrumors 6502a

    Blaine

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    Location:
    Abilene TX
  20. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #21
    i didn't wait. should have mine in a few days.

    i never buy new - always a refurb so i'd be waiting longer for any updates, but really, the i7s are amazing so I can't see any new update blowing it out of the water, imho.

    good luck!
     
  21. newmacboyoutube macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #22
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Wait3 months or buy one now. Really PSAT wait
     
  22. iAmRod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    #23
    So, are we to take your "sad face" to mean you regret your decision to NOT wait??
     
  23. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #24
    err...I don't mean to be rude but what is MPA?!:confused:

    OP, I think you should wait for the sandy bridge...and a possible redesign...
     
  24. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2003
    #25
    I expect the new generation of 15" and 17" MBP to have higher resolution displays (based on Apple's recent behavior of increasing display resolution for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and MacBook Airs). I also think it's possible they may include better/cheaper SSD upgrades a la the MBA, although there are likely some engineering compromises because most people will still want the storage space of a hard drive and the interfaces are different. This is the most likely reality, and it's not worth waiting for.
     

Share This Page