15" Macbook Pro on RAIN stand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingofkings11, Mar 22, 2017.

1. kingofkings11 macrumors member

This might seem like a stupid question to some but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has any insights...

Is there a detrimental effect on a 15" macbook pro (internals perhaps?) if I have it sitting on the rain stand (at its angled position) for extended amounts of time? Like I just want to leave the macbook pro on the stand while in use and not in use.

The macbook pro does have a UAG case on it.

Thanks

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Hard drives could be required to slow down if at an angle, but since there's none of this in the MBP, I don't see the problem. The fans should do alright with the angle I think and those are the only moving parts that could be affected. Aside from that, no problems, so I think it's fine.
    Don't get the UAG case - but hey - shouldn't affect anything I think, but if you're concerned, keep an eye on the temperatures for a wile and see if they act strangely

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Zero I have two Rain Design mstands, and use them with 13" & 15" rMBP's and now Surface Book. There are also alternatives with variable height & tilt angle that offer greater flexibility.

Q-6

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well it's a notebook used on laps, in beds, propped on a cushion etc etc etc logic would suggest that a specific stand with clear space for cooling will not be an issue, also take a look at the vertical henge docks people use those with no issues for years.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

For me, it seems to have a slightly positive effect. It presumably is reducing temperatures slightly, because CPU throttling on the mRAIN stand is slightly less than on other surfaces. I assume this is because that thick piece of aluminum is sucking the CPU/GPU heat away from the internals and dissipating it faster?